Chat Javascript Conflict Problems

I seem to be having Chat Javascript conflict problems with the 'open chat' not working.

Everything seems to work and load fine if in bottom chat, it all looks okay, but it does not allow anywhere for a moderator to open the chat.

So I assume, it's a javascript conflict problem, something I am not really sure on how to fix.

I have read up on many articles, but I am still trying to work out how to allow the open chat button to work.

I only assume it's conflicting javascript, but any help is welcome...

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @owen_o_neill,

The first thing to check is that you have moderator permissions set up correctly, and that you are logged in with an account that has moderator access.

For Bottom Corner chant log into wp-admin. Go to Settings > Chat. On the second tab 'Bottom Corner chat', check the Login Options. Make sure you have the WordPress user checked. Also on the Moderator roles make sure you have your user's role (admin) set. See #1 screenshot.

When you view the front-end you will see the Moderator buttons below the chat message input area. See #2 screenshot.

• owen_o_neill
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@Elliott Bristow - I was told by another staff member to continue the top on this thread.

I am unable to open chats and after looking around the internet and wpmudev I have noticed that it is a conflict issue.

Can someone(staff) help me with why the chat isn't working:

http://dev.universitycompare.com/welcome-member/

^ above is the link of where the chat is held; I will need to supply site login and WP login to a staff member, but would heavily appreciate if someone could look and help me with this issue.

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @owen_o_neill,

Are you using any caching or minifying plugins like w3total cache... we have had issues before where the minifying process stops the plugin from working.

If you're not using a caching plugin, or if this doesn't fix it, could you send me a link to your site with some login details and I'll take a look to see what might be causing a conflict.

To send in your details, head to our contact form at https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact, choose "I have another question" and put as the subject Attn: Elliott Bristow. I'll take a look and let you know what I find. :slight_smile:

• owen_o_neill

@Elliott Bristow

I am not running or using w3total cache, I don't think I actually have any problems with the plugins running; it was working before but now it is not, very -confusing for me! - But my only answer I am thinking about is a jQuery problem.

I have sent you an email with the details for the site, and hopefully you can have a quick little look.

Thanks again!

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Looking at your site I can see a JavaScript error being caused by using the .tooltip() jQuery UI function in your footer. I can't edit your footer because it is write-protected, but if you can remove the write protection and edit that file to remove the tooltip calls we can eliminate that as the cause of the issue.

Other than that error all the settings seem to be in order, so I'm going to tag the developer to see if he can think of anything I've missed.

@Paul please contact me for the login details.

• owen_o_neill

@Elliott Bristow - You are correct and I thank you for sorting this, is there a way to get the tooltip still working but not conflicting with the chat?

it does seem to be working now - This is great! - But I do need the tool tip to work elsewhere in the site...

Owen

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

I could be wrong, but I don't think you have the jQuery UI Tooltip addon installed. tooltip() is not part of the standard jQuery plugin so you need to add the tooltip addon script for it to work.

If you do have it installed and I've missed it in the code, it's possibel that the addon hasn't been loaded by the time the tooltip function is being called. Try adding the code back in but wrapping it in a ready checker as follows:

$(document).ready() {
        // Tooltip Code Here
    }
  • Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

You missed the closing curly brace:

<script>
    $(document).ready(function() {
          $("#tuition img[title]").tooltip();
    	  $(".badgeHover img[title]").tooltip();
        });
    }
    </script>

Try that and let me know how you get on. If this doesn't work it suggests that you don't actually have the tooltip addon installed. You'll probably need to download a new build of jQuery and replace the one you are currently using.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@owen_o_neill,

You are correct and I thank you for sorting this, is there a way to get the tooltip still working but not conflicting with the chat?

Just to be clear this is not a conflict. If you have ANY JavaScript errors prior to Chat SJ starting then thsi will prevent other JS like Chat from functioning.

@Elliott Bristow,

You appear to have this handled. But let me know if you need help. I can't do much since I don't have access to the site.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.