chat plugin

another fail

• webcontrol

yes... I am starting to get somewhere with it... I might have jumped the gun as still annoyed that I paid a year subscription and I am still to find a plugin here that makes it to the final stages... They generally get dropped for not playing nice with other plugins... having better alternatives available (usually free!), or for excessive wpmu branding... of which there should really be none! So far I have paid $$$ to have this chat with you!!!! Although this chat plugin is not the most user friendly in terms of design and instructions I have not given up on it quite yet. But even so, for what I paid... I'm disappointed. However, if I'd purchased plugins individually with the fail rate that I've experienced it would also have been pretty frustrating... in my humble opinion for the service implied in the marketing material... and hype like "best chat plugin bar none" WMPU really need to raise their game and focus on plugins rather than articles and marketing... plugins that don't write "wmpu" or link back to wmpu all over the place is also important! I would also like it if plugins focused on a specific issue rather than try to be multifunctional. Often too many functions makes the plugins here too much for the job they are intended for by the users. I would also like to see real reviews and star ratings by users on the plugin pages. The plugin pages are made to look like they have 5 stars and I doubt they do. I don't think this experience has been what I'd anticipated. I also don't think you have any chance of keeping up with the free wordpress community which has a much larger base of programmers. Lower your prices to match the reality of what you provide. Average plugins with wmpu branding attached.

• webcontrol

I have a question:

how do I stop any conversation showing when a new user enters the chat... it should be blank when they arrive... I have set items that appear to relate to this to 0 but when I login as a new user I still see comments made by admin.

also

"Chat Invites are invitations from other users to join private chats. Fractions of seconds are acceptable ex. 1.02, 0.5, 5.35"

how does admin create a private chat

how does a user create a private chat with another user or with admin?

thanks

• Paul

@webcontrol,

how do I stop any conversation showing when a new user enters the chat... it should be blank when they arrive... I have set items that appear to relate to this to 0 but when I login as a new user I still see comments made by admin.

I disagree. all chats are by default group chats not private chats. At least when you are using the chat shortcode, bottom corner chat or widget. Under Chat > Settings Page > Advanced tab you can limit the number of messages shown when a user joins the group chat by setting the value of 'Display Messages Limit' . See image. Note this is only when the user joins the group chat.

how does a user create a private chat with another user or with admin?

Within the group chat only the moderator has the ability to initiate a private chat. Outside of that if you are running BuddyPress of have our Friends plugin installed a non-moderator user can initiate private chat only with their friend connections. If on your site you have enabled the showing of the WP toolbar on the frontend you will see the chat menu where the user can control their chat status. If they have friends who are online it will show another sub-menu listing their friends. The can also go to their BuddyPress Friends page to see this. Or if using our Friends plugin there is a similar listing. Also, all these options can be controlled as far as display within wp-admin on the user's profiles and/or within BuddyPress profile on the front-end

The administrator of the site or a user with user_list capability also can go to Users > All Users and see all users and use the new Chat column. The visibility of this column can be turned on/off via your profile.

how do we stop spam bots posting to the chat?

The chat plugin checks the users information when posting. We do not at this time allow anonymous user or should say auto-registered users for chat. So at the very least you have to enable the 'Public' login option which forces the user to enter a name and valid email address before posting chat. Check the 'Authentication' tab on any of the Settings sections.

• Paul

@webcontrol,

you said "I disagree" ... I did not mean "should" be that way for you... I meant "should" be that way for us... meaning how we need it. So you can't disagree :wink:

No what I think you are getting to is something many other members are asking for and something I've been working on. Many member want a support chat setup where a user comes to the site and can initiate a support chat just with the admin or support users. This is coming. But again in group chat which is what the current model is all users can see all other users posts.

Spam bots routinely add a username and email to get passed a form login so not sure if that type of authentication does anything to stop spam but time will tell. Thanks!

Yes, but all this is JavaScript driven. Most spambots that I'm aware of simply post into a site trying to get some traction on form reply. If you notice the chat plug loads only a placeholder hidden div on the page when loaded into the browser. Once the page loads the frame and any messages are loaded all via AJAX calls. So unlikely that a spambot would get to that. But admittedly not impossible. Someone probably could write a specific spambot to target our chat. Then again you could write one for most any AJAX call.

Within the group chat only the moderator has the ability to initiate a private chat.

On chat chat messages the moderator will see the message footer showing the IP address, a delete button and a little lock. We are behind doing up some cool graphics. The lock is there to indicate privacy. If you hover it you will see the message 'invite user to private chat' see image. Again this is only seen by the moderator within the group chat. Clicking this will popup a new window similar to the bottom corner chat where the moderator and user can chat. No one else can see these messages. And actually say you end the chat then start a new private chat. The previous chat messages are achieved and not viewable. which is something we will be changing soon. We will be doing something like the gtalk chat where you can reopen the window and resume messages.

• webcontrol

sounds like it is on the right track.... hopefully not long until we see those updates. Currently this is a decent plugin and playing nicely with my other features and what I like the most is it is not heavily branded (just the pop out window link, feel free to change that!). But defo my best experience on wmpu after testing quite a few of them. Please don't get carried away with features - I expect you are right that the majority of people want to use it for conversations with visitors to their site as pre sales chats and some others will consider having a community conversation but no reason not to provide both.

• Paul

@webcontrol

Currently this is a decent plugin and playing nicely with my other features

Gee thank. Just curious if you have any killer features recommendation that would elevate this from 'decent' to some higher level of wow factor?

just the pop out window link, feel free to change that!)

Noted. But then again you can disable that. But I hear ya.

Please don't get carried away with features

Well that is what happens when you try and satisfy all member needs. You offer a nice simple plugin. Then someone buys it expecting something else (not blaming the sales copy) and next thing you know they write flaming negative reviews because it doesn't do exactly what they want. Or they just leave a generic comment like 'another fail' without any constructive details. The nerve.

I expect you are right that the majority of people want to use it for conversations with visitors to their site as pre sales chats and some others will consider having a community conversation but no reason not to provide both.

Oh it will support both. We already have a well integrated group chat which works well within WordPress and BuddyPress. Lots of options. And the upcoming support chat will work within the same system. IT will be something like you see on some sites where the set admin can setup a banner image to get a user to click. Or better integrate this with out slide in plugin with a 15 second delay. So after that time the user is asked if they need help or have a question. Typical scenario. The critical part is with the backend queueing. Need to expect there are questions when no support person is online or when a single support person is busy with another question. So logging this and having the ability to review and contact the user is very important.

Anyway thanks for the comments on our little plugin. Let us know if you have any more.

• webcontrol

unbelievably I have been unable to login to my account since your last post! 2 weeks it took to get me back in! So here I am :slight_smile: ... To address your points...

for $19 your plugin is great - but I have paid near $400 for it... for that it is not great... it is certainly one of the better ones on here... I think it still adds branding to the widget area which I think is unfortunate.. but currently it is the only wpmu plugin that has survived testing... thus a very expensive purchase. What's more it is only into phase two of testing so if it does not get through that (and there is a chance it won't based on how server intensive it is, how well it plays with other plugins etc) then I am $400 out of pocket... when I asked about refunds on a thread shortly after signing up... guess what happened... nothing! Nobody replied to the thread... tumbleweed silence. But certainly don't take my comments personally they reflected my entire WMPU experience... you know... like being locked out of your $400 account for two weeks... that kind of thing!

• Paul

@webcontrol,

Yeah, was wondering what ever happened to this thread. Not sure what I can tell you on the $400 loss. For refunds go to Contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ Select 'Billing question' from the drop down then state your case on why you are due a refund. Most everyone here in the forums are support folk or developers who manage plugins like myself. We don't have any control or access to the membership side of the biz.

I'm more interested on your tests. Any details you can provide on the levels and what they involve? We are always open for constructive criticism and way to improve our products. So any details you can provide may be rewarded with serious points. And when you reach 1000 points you get a lifetime membership.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.