"chat" plugin as a BP membership/prosites level ?

i selected "membership" plugin for this support question but it could have been "chat" or possibly even "pro sites" i am not sure.

question is, can "chat", specifically for BuddyPress, be used as a paid/upgrade option like how it is said "membership" can control access to BP groups and blogs ?

i see also that "pro sites" can limit group and messaging creation.

in other words allow free access to the BP community for accessing "members", "friends", "forums" etc. but NOT "chat" (no access to chat in BP) and then a paid "membership" or "pro sites" would allow access to use live group and personal chat with members.

I hope i have described myself properly.

Any kind assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

RC.

• Dharmendra
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hello Randall,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

I'm sorry, but there is no way to restrict this to a particular page beyond using the shortcode. But, you can use the membership plugin to protect the page that contains the chat shortcode. So only paid member can access that page.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Take care!

• amused
    • friend of Bill. W.

ok thanks for your speedy reply.
    I realise that membership pretty much allows/restricts access via specific pages.

But what about its "controlling access to BP groups and blogs ?"
    am i correct in saying this is NOT done strictly by specific pages but rather integration with BP ? i did not try it out but i am assuming the "controlling access" refers to allowing/restricting members to create groups and blogs ? am i correct in assuming that ?

if so, then i guess my next question/request would be if your "chat" plugin can be used this same way as i mentioned above.

in other words use "membership" to allow/restrict chat in BP.

"chat" obviously uses significantly more resources on the owners server and i think it would be efficient to offer "chat" as a paid solution.

your kind thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again !!!

RC.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @Randall, I hope you're well today!

i did not try it out but i am assuming the "controlling access" refers to allowing/restricting members to create groups and blogs ? am i correct in assuming that ?

Correct.

if so, then i guess my next question/request would be if your "chat" plugin can be used this same way as i mentioned above.

I'm afraid not. There currently is no integration for the Chat plugin.
    The only way I can think of to make this work is by using chat on a patge and then controlling access to that page through membership, as suggested by my colleague above.

I have moved this post to the features and suggestions, submitted a formal feature request for this and notified the plugin developer about it.

Hopefully we'll be able to add such an integration on a future release of the plugin. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.