Chat plugin does not show the chat to viewers unless logged in

Have you guys encountered this? When I first installed Chat it was viewable by anonymous users, but now, for some reason it is not. I un-installed all the other plugins and even tried re-installing Chat.. but no dice.

The plugins I had installed are AWPCP, Facebook connect, bbpress, and social login by oneall (deactivated once I got fb connect working).

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

There is an setting in the chat settings that would let anonymous users chat, in the Chat plugin options > Bottom Corner Chat > Authentication Login Options > Tick Public User.

Am not sure if it used to show the previous log. Let me ping Paul in here to confirm how it is supposed to work.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@jdfrombr, there are two sets of settings depending on how you are using the chat plugin. The chat plugin support inline chat on a post or page. Then there is the bottom corner chat options. Both have their own authentication settings.

I've uploaded an image of the inline authentication settings. Please compare these to your own settings and let us know.

As you can see from the image the top portion controls the general user authentication. I'll go through these one by one.

1. Current user - This needs to be re-labelled. Check this is you want only WP authenticated users.
    2. Public User - This is for non-WordPress users. These users will see a name and email field below the chat.
    3. Twitter - Available only if you have the Twitter API setup.
    4. Facebook - Available only if you have the Facebook API setup

The moderation roles are for WP users only.

• jdfrombr
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks Paul. I really appreciate that a developer has taken the time to look at it.

I mirrored your settings (I'm using multisite though.) I still can only see the chat conversation if I'm logged in.

Is this normal? I could have sworn that I could see the chat convos as an anonymous user while using chat lite.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@jdfrombr, the plugin IS working as designed. I'm a public non-authenticated user. When I view the page I see the chat window and the Name and Email boxes below the chat. See my screenshot.

Until the user provides the Name and Email they are not allowed to see the chat message nor are they allowed to participate in the chat. This is just how the plugin works and is required in order to differentiate one user from the next.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@jdfrombr, I don't see anything in our descriptions of the plugin that would lead you to think the chat details are publicly available.

Still I tend to agree with you. I've just taken over support of the chat plugin this summer so not sure I understand why the previous developer setup the plugin to require user interaction before showing the chat details. I have some other changes I'm working on so maybe I can add some option to allow view of the chat.

Closing this issue for now.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Thanks Paul for all the details, the reason why I got confused is exactly the one you mentioned. I was under the impression that we use the same chat plugin (or at least parts of the code) on our support chat and there we can see the log even without participating.

Btw, I just saw the preview of how the new support chat is gonna look like, awesomeness indeedo!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Arun, you have to remember that in order to see that chat page on our site the user is authenticated already. The chat code for our WPMUDEV system and the public chat are slightly different. Mostly the layout and options.

My goal for the rest of this year is to finally merge the 3 versions we have code for. 1) the public chat plugins, 2, Our current WPMU DEV Chat version, 3) Our new chat plugin which was enhanced by Enzo and adds things like file uploads.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.