Chat plugin dominating hosting resources

Hello!

I am having a lot of trouble with the Chat plugin. When trying to use it, it crashes the site.

I'm checking my hosting metrics on Godaddy. When using the chat, my CPU and Memory usage SKYrocket.

What is needed to run this plugin?

• William Traylor

I can.

However when I first installed it and it was defaulted to 3 seconds, I didn't realize it was thinking in the background. So, I would submit multiple times.

We are going to have many people on these chats. Right now it doesn't perform well with just one. If it's 3 seconds, we are going to get multiple posts.

Is that all we can do?

Again, what are the system requirements for this plugin?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There's no specific requirements for the Chat plugin but please take into account that the chat should be refreshed "in real time" and in background and is a "self-hosted" solution meaning it doesn't call any 3rd-party/external services. This means that the plugin is making a heavy use of wp-ajax calls and its scripts are also making a lot of db calls. That is necessary to make the plugin work.

Many available chat solutions does not use our server's resources, instead passing all that "hard work" to external servers. Such chats however usually doesn't give you that much control over its settings, are not that secure in terms of user data (because user information are shared with another server that not under your control) and usually charge you quite a lot for "full-featured" service.

I'm saying this only because I'd like to make sure that we're on a same side here so you're aware why our chat plugin stands out in a positive way. This features however may in return result in more than "average" consumption of server resources and, as Alex mentioned, many shared hosting account may not be able to handle it.

Personally, I've tested chat with multiple users on a cheap shared hosting and didn't experience any issue. The server parameters however are: 8-core Xeon E3 3.4GHz CPU, 32GB RAM and unlimited number of database queries.

This server is a shared server hosting hundreds of site at the time so it's not entirely to my disposal. This leads me to the point that the most important factors here aren't hardware specs of the server but its config and allowed limits. I'd make sure that there's at least:

-256M of memory made available for PHP and WordPress
    - no limit (or a very high limit) of database queries allowed
    - no limits and well configured web server software - most popular is Apache that cannot by default handle too many request at the same time and unfortunately on many shared hosts tech staff doesn't bother to adjust its configuration to make it more efficient.

The bottom line is: it would be great if you could find out what are the db-query and web-server limits and other resource limits set on your server. These are often surprisingly low, far lower than any WordPress site (even without chat plugin) receiving a fair amount of traffic would need.

I'd suggest asking your hosting provider above those limits and if they could increase them. Also, please share their response with me.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello William!

I'm curious where you get "cheap" shared hosting with such a power house.

It's a local Polish hosting provider (at a bit over $30/yr it surely qualifies as cheap). I wouldn't say however that it's powerful. As I said, the "core" (CPU) is quite nice but again - it's a shared server and this power is shared between a lot of accounts.

The point is that providers put various limits on resources and also those limits are handled differently - some are really strict and some are sort of "flexible". I'm not sure about GoDaddy hosting but of course it is possible that your memory and CPU usage goes up significantly. Yet, they surely should allow around 128-256M or RAM for PHP so you should be able to set the same for WordPress and unless web-server (Apache or Nginx usually) and db blocks too many queries you should be good to go regardless of that.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.