Chat plugin no sound

Hi,
Could you kindly assist on why I do not hear any sound when a new chat message is received? Sound is enabled in the settings, and sound works fine on my computer. I suspect it has something to do with the notification functionality because the chat box background color does not change on a new message. It should change to #FFE9AB . I'm quite sure this all worked when I used the free Chat Light plugin. Thank you very much.

• lauter1

Hi Mason,
    Thanks very much. After testing some more, looks like it was because of the login setup. I got it working by selecting both Current User and Public user authentication. However, this raised a few questions if I may:
    - what's the actual difference between current and public user authentication?
    - when the plugin asks to login with name and email, what is that logging into? Is that email stored or sent anywhere?
    - the goal is for my site users to access the chat without having to login to the chat plugin. (The page will be protected with wordpress. Once they login to my site, they'll have access to the page). What authentication should I use?
    - if there is a tech doc that explains the above, feel free to forward me to it instead.

fyi, using Chrome and IE9 and its fine in both.

Thanks again!

• Mason

@MTB1701, 1701 it is then (though that's still a lot of syllables in my head :wink:

@lauter1,
    the use_public_auth function is a custom one for this plugin and current_user is default to WordPress, let me get the developer to chime in on how they are different. We need better documentation on the settings and I'll get some folks on that straight away.

The email address should be stored in the regular WordPress user email area.

If you want folks who are already logged into WordPress to be able to chat my thought would be that current user makes the most sense, but again I'll defer to the developer.

We'll get some more answers for ya shortly. Thanks again!

• Paul

@lauter1, Sorry for the lateness of my reply on this.

- what's the actual difference between current and public user authentication?
    When you select 'Current User' that refers to the WordPress authenticated users. (It does need to be renamed) So from the selection if this is the only option checked then the user must log into your WordPress site to allow posting to the chat session.

When you select the 'Public' user this allows user to authenticate by providing a simply a name and email address. So this means non-WordPress users can participate in the chat.

- when the plugin asks to login with name and email, what is that logging into? Is that email stored or sent anywhere?
    As far as I can tell this name and email address are not stored. They are simply used to setup a session for the user.

- the goal is for my site users to access the chat without having to login to the chat plugin. (The page will be protected with wordpress. Once they login to my site, they'll have access to the page). What authentication should I use?

If you will be authenticating the user via some other method then simply select the 'Current User' option in WordPress Chat.

- if there is a tech doc that explains the above, feel free to forward me to it instead.

No documentation that I've been able to find. Just reviewing the code to figure out how things really work.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.