Chat plugin not refreshing in any browswer

Hi - my live chat app within a post will post maybe 1 or 2 entries before it stops taking any more and does not auto update on its own. I've changed the AJAX to Wordpress due to potential issues with GoDaddy hosting. I have 2 seconds on the poll interval with 4 and 6 seconds for invites and meta data refresh. Can anyone help?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Brad

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

I have tried with same settings as you and it's working fine for me. In which browser you were checking? Did you check in other browsers?

Please let me know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Brad
    • New Recruit

This was in Internet Explorer - stayed on the same screen, ws able to input maybe 5-6 entries. Then all of a sudden my new ones wouldn't show after I typed them. If I logged out or refreshed the entire page they would then show.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi @Brad,

I hope you won't mind my jumping in to assist as well? I've been testing using similar settings to those you've setup there and haven't noticed any issues here with IE 11.

Perhaps there's a browser caching issue occurring that's logging you out automatically?

Could you try using a different browser to see how that works?

If you could possibly provide a url where we can test, we may be able to spot something that way as well.

Also, is that occurring regardless of the chat method; dashboard chat, bottom corner, page/post chat?

Thanks,
    David

• Brad
    • New Recruit

So I've done more testing - tabbing back between Chrome and Internet Explorer talking with myself. Both time out of auto-refreshes , regardless of minimizing or moving tabs. This includes one logged in via Facebook and the other via regular WordPress role.

When i'm not logged into WordPress and go to log in, there's no option for WordPress subscribers to log in (these roles are all flagged as acceptable), only Facebook and twitter, of which I've enabled.

I need this program to be able to handle 25-50 chatters at one time for live events. I've already moved the intervals to 2/4/6 and also changed to WordPress AJAX in the event it is host related.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Brad,

Thanks for sending that through. After a bit of time on the page, I'm seeing the following in the Chrome console:

chat_session_message_update: error HTTP Status[0]  wpmudev-chat.js?ver=2.0.7.1:308
    POST http://placetobenation.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

After that point, the chat messages stop posting.

Just to check, do you have any cache plugins setup there?

If so, could you try deactivating that momentarily to test this?

Thanks,
    David

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Good one David!

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE normally means that the server closed the connection before sending any data. What is your memory @Brad ? Would you please try increasing your memory?

Put this line in your wp-config.php:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');

Try 128M or the higher that you got from your hosting provider.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers
    Ash

• be
    • WP Core Meltdown

I had deactivated Total Cache 3 after the issues with the latest WP. I deleted that completely now (not that it would have an impact here

Just a note on cache plugins :slight_smile:
    They all can leave remnants when "deactivated" because they have rules in htaccess files etc.
    If they are not uninstalled as they require they can also leave remnants that cause odd issues to continue.
    ie - if you simply delete the plugin there will be rules etc left.
    if you uninstall via the plugin dashboard - they should remove those files (some have specific steps that need to be followed noted in instruction.)

• Brad
    • New Recruit

Yeah sorry guys, this didn't work and messing with the config file ended up crashing our site for a day or so. Un-needed stress. Worth the one-time investment to see if it would be something we could use though.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.