chat plugin not showing up; & buddypress registration question

Heya. Two questions.

One, I installed the WPMUDEV 'Chat' plugin and assigned it to a widget, and it is NOT showing up on my page.

Nor am I quite sure how to send a chat request to an online user.

Secondly; buddypress registration appears to be functioning fine, but it goes to the default twenty-fourteen. I have a blog template theme ('Authortemplate') which I would rather automatically made members pages.

Help? Chat & registration custom?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Griffin,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your questions!

One, I installed the WPMUDEV 'Chat' plugin and assigned it to a widget, and it is NOT showing up on my page.

Do you mind sharing a link to the page it should be showing up on? Then we can check for possible errors. You can also do plugin/theme conflict checks here as that is often the case when something isn't showing when it should be.

Nor am I quite sure how to send a chat request to an online user.

1-on-1 private chats requires either BuddyPress or our WPMU Friends plugins :slight_smile: and you must be a 'friend' with the person, then you can send and receive chat invites.

Appears you have BuddyPress so you should be able to send someone a chat invite from the /members list page or someones profile.

Secondly; buddypress registration appears to be functioning fine, but it goes to the default twenty-fourteen. I have a blog template theme ('Authortemplate') which I would rather automatically made members pages.

You can make a template the default template by hovering over it in the Blog Templates > Blog Templates listing. When you hover over it there will be a "Make default" link :slight_smile: have you already done that and it's still choosing twenty fourteen for that template even though you have a different theme setup for it?

Hope this helps! Look forward to hearing back.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Griffin

i fixed the issue with the default page. however, there are other issues now.
    one, the chat plugin, which I deleted and reinstalled, suddenly works.

there is a strange issue with chat though, members, and where beings are linked to in their use of the site.

i loaded up my 'griffinfae' profile on one web browser (chrome), and then my 'peterfae' profile on firefox. though a friend request was made, i got the message, 'friendship could not be accepted at this time'.

plus, strangely, it seemed as though when clicking on buddypress pages from my profile page (http://www.peterfae.intothemythica.com) that i was taken back to the main page of the site.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Griffin,

Thanks for getting back to me :slight_smile:

Glad you got the chat working!

Does this same behaviour happen when temporarily using the default 2014 theme? Only reason I say this is because it looks like your theme is fairly heavy on the Js. Perhaps possible conflicts with different actions.

With that said, your site looks awesome! Nice work :slight_smile:

I tested this out on my own install and I wasn't able to get that error, in fact I haven't seen that error yet.

Do you mind granting support access? and do you mind if I make a test user account to login to in a different browser? I'll delete it after.

Then I can do a bit further testing.

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back Griffin!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Griffin,

Nice chatting with you!

Okay, so what I changed was the polling source from plugin ajax to WordPress ajax. You can do this by navigating to:

Chat > Settings Common > Polling tab. Then you will see the option :slight_smile:

As for your other questions:

Changing the BuddyPress profile links

You will need to customize the template files for this to have them link to each site users site. It might be easier to use a plugin such as this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/buddypress-profile-tabs/ that allows you to re-order the tabs then you can make the sites tab more prominent for them.

Customizing the BuddyPress Activity Page

You could use a plugin such as this one here: http://buddydev.com/plugins/bp-activity-shortcode/ (it's paid)

To place the activity shortcode in various other places and customize it.

You mentioned that you weren't able to customize the activity page with CSS. You should be able to customize the css of any of the BuddyPress pages :slight_smile: just place the custom css into your custom stylesheet.

Hope this helps Griffin! Let me know if you need further assistance here.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.