Chat plugin setup for help-chat in MarketPress/GridMarket multisite.

MarketPress GridMarket shop network.
Setting up bottom-right corner pop-up chat window for site support questions.

1) The button to minimize/maximize chat window is out of alignment. It gets pushed down under the bottom-right corner below border-color bar, so is hard to click on.

2) would like to have this chat window global. I don't want to add buddypress, as my network is already complicated enough for me to handle. Will new blog templates plugin be able to copy my chat setup for each new site - and not cause issues down the road with polling, etc.? Would be nice for a global setting.

Thank you!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @MoniQ,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

1) The button to minimize/maximize chat window is out of alignment. It gets pushed down under the bottom-right corner below border-color bar, so is hard to click on.

It seems the width of chat window is smaller to fit chat window title therefore the minimize/maximize button gets pushed down. Can you just add following css code using this plugin http://jetpack.me/support/custom-css/ to fix it.

.wpmudev-chat-title-text{
    max-width: 80% !important;
    }

.wpmudev-chat-actions-menu{
    max-width: 30px !important;
    }

2) would like to have this chat window global. I don't want to add buddypress, as my network is already complicated enough for me to handle. Will new blog templates plugin be able to copy my chat setup for each new site - and not cause issues down the road with polling, etc.? Would be nice for a global setting.

Unfortunately currently it's not possible with chat plugin as to copy plugin data plugin table names should be like wp_blog-id_ e.g. wp_2_ which is the standard table prefix for the specific blog. Plugins not following this convention will not have their tables listed in Advanced Options of blog templates and chat plugin doesn't follow this convention.
    You can make it work by doing some custom coding so that the plugin will list in in Advanced Options of blog templates and it's data can be copied.

Best Regards,

• MoniQ

I added your recommendation to my customs css. It looks great. Thank you Vinod.

To recap...

Paul, you are saying global chat functionality is not possible at this time. Is it possible to use buddypress to make this work throughout my network? Just wondering, because of the "network" setting in site Authentication:

Show for Network Users. If unchecked then only WordPress users which access to the current blog will be able to see the chat session.

Also, are you saying that I cannot use "new blog templates" then, to copy my chat pop up settings for all new sites I create on my network?

Thank you.

• Paul

@MoniQ,

I'm now confused on exactly what you were asking for as it relates to your #2 question. Are you trying to copy the settings or are you like others asking to support global chat session. For global chat sessions there would be a chat session like the bottom corner chat shown across all sites in your Multisite system. This would be global meaning if the user is on site A and entered a message into the chat then moved to site B the message would be there also.

To copy the settings is somewhat different. Yes, you can use the new blog templates plugin. That is a good choice. Also realize that if you made changes to the settings you would still need to update each site.

• MoniQ

Hello, Yes I would like to use a global chat pop-up for site-support service throughout my network; all sites.

By adding one chat per new site, I realize I may slow down the server due to polling. Are there any other concerns I should be aware of?

I will use new blog templates soon to copy the same chat to new sites - but that is only because there is no global option yet. If I copy settings, and when I need to go back later and change a chat colour let's say, can I update this in the new blog templates settings? (I have not used new blog templates yet, so I am not sure.)

If I cannot, and until this plugin goes global, perhaps it is better to use one chat for now in the primary site, so when visitors go to the help page there, I can make reference to this service. What are your thoughts?

-- I forgot to ask why I need to use the below plugin to add css? Can I just paste the css suggested above into my custom.css file?

Can you just add following css code using this plugin http://jetpack.me/support/custom-css/ to fix it.

-- I have chat run off as stated above, but only in super admin now. I tried adjusting css with no resolve. Everywhere else is fine. I can live with that. I just wondered if there is something I can try with this maybe:

.wpmudev-chat-max{
    margin or padding?
    }

Thank you!

• Paul

@MoniQ

Hello, Yes I would like to use a global chat pop-up for site-support service throughout my network; all sites.

Good. Well my plan is to develop a Network Level Bottom Corner chat. When enabled at the Network this global bottom chat will replace the site level bottom chat. So a user on Site A can post and users viewing Site B will see the message. The Network colors etc will all be controlled there.

If I copy settings, and when I need to go back later and change a chat colour let's say, can I update this in the new blog templates settings?

No. The New Blog Template is just that a template. Once you create a new site from that template all the settings are copied to the new site. And that is the end of the connection. If you need to make changes you will need to edit each of the individual sites.

Can I just paste the css suggested above into my custom.css file?

Yes, you can add it which ever way you want.

I have chat run off as stated above, but only in super admin now. I tried adjusting css with no resolve. Everywhere else is fine. I can live with that. I just wondered if there is something I can try with this maybe:

I'm not really sure what you are asking. I just looked at your site and the bottom corner chat max/min button position appeared to be correct. See image

• MoniQ

Wonderful Vinod, I look forward to the global bottom corner chat. Do you have any idea how long this may take before it is released?

Paul, thank you. That clarifies everything. The run off only occurs now in my super admin access. Odd. But I can live with that.

Just one area I need help to understand. If I create a bottom corner chat for all new shops on my network, does this also create a new cron per site for polling the server? If more than one happens in the same instance, will this create a screen freezing affect - something that seems to be happening now, with my 2 sites and their chats set up? (Or is this happening because I have my 2 sites up in my 2 screens at a time, as I work). I am wondering if I should keep chats to one primary site, until the global update is released.

Your thoughts.

Thank you!

• Paul

Wonderful Vinod, I look forward to the global bottom corner chat. Do you have any idea how long this may take before it is released?

I can probably answer that better. I'm about to release a new version of chat which does contain the Network button corner chat. If this works out I'll then be adding a Network widget. Then maybe at some point a network shortcode option.

Just one area I need help to understand. If I create a bottom corner chat for all new shops on my network, does this also create a new cron per site for polling the server?

I'm not sur eI follow your question. The Chat plugin does not current have any relationship with cron. I think you are asking about how chat polls for new messages. This is done from your browser via JavaScript/AJAX to your server. So every browser connected to your site will be polling the server at whatever interval you have specified via the Chat > Settings Common > Poll Interval tab. This is the same if you have the Network enabled bottom corner chat or not.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.