chat plugin spaming the screen with multiple chat boxes

Hi I am using the latest wordpress and buddypress and the default buddypress theme

I was playing around with the chat plugin.

and I can send multiple request for chat instead of 1 chat box, it would spam the screen with multiple chat boxes of the same conversation.

Also when you pop the chat box the messages don't show and when u close the pop box chat the messages shows again?

just a suggestion to improve the chat and making it more friendly to use by changing the minimize icon to a close icon. it can be confusing to the users who are useto the facebook chat system when closing the chat box and minimized.

1) To minimized the chat box users can just click on the chat bar where it displays the user name. or from the settings

2) and to close the chat box click the [x]

Another thing i have notice is when you are on a private chat and you click on the user profile pic it display they username on the private chat box "@username" I think it would make more since if you click on user profile picture it takes the user to they profile.

also when the chat plugin is activated it really slows down my website.

even when i am using a wp-super cache plugin

Thank you

• Paul

and I can send multiple request for chat instead of 1 chat box, it would spam the screen with multiple chat boxes of the same conversation.

Really not following what you are trying to state here. Can you provide screenshot(s)?

Also when you pop the chat box the messages don't show and when u close the pop box chat the messages shows again?

Assumed when you say 'pop the chat box' you are referring to the Private chat. The only way to close the window is to select 'Leave Chat' from the gear menu within the chat box. Also, if you have multiple browser tabs/windows viewing the site each will get a copy of that private chat popup. Sadly there is no good way to coordinate things between multiple bowser windows.

just a suggestion to improve the chat and making it more friendly to use by changing the minimize icon to a close icon. it can be confusing to the users who are useto the facebook chat system when closing the chat box and minimized.

Actually no. The problem with putting the close/leave on the window bar is too many users were clicking this accidentally and complained they lost the window. So we had to make this a little more hard. Sorry.

1) To minimized the chat box users can just click on the chat bar where it displays the user name. or from the settings

The Chat window is like any other browser instance. When you click your main browser window does it minimize? No, because your OS wants you to click the minimize buttons.

2) and to close the chat box click the [x]

See previous answer on that. Again I agree with you but in the beta testing it was almost unanimous on that issue where users were clicking the [x] and really didn't mean to leave the chat. Will probably change in the future. Really want to get rid of the current image used.

Another thing i have notice is when you are on a private chat and you click on the user profile pic it display they username on the private chat box "@username" I think it would make more since if you click on user profile picture it takes the user to they profile.

This is a somewhat common request. The problem is not all users have profiles. Consider that the Chat plugin authenticates WP users, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and public (unanimous) users.

If I'm logged not chat via Facebook and click on the click on the avatar of a WP user. What would I see? I don't have access to WP since I'm not authenticated via WP.

Similar issue for the Public users. I authenticated via WP and chatting with a Public user. I click on their avatar. Where is their profile?

This may work well with certain configurations like within the BuddyPress Group chat. But in default WordPress it really does not. Will probably add something eventually so control this. Really I want to has a small menu show when you click the avatar. This menu would be provide the ability to mention then in chat with the '@' or go to the user's profile, or something else,

also when the chat plugin is activated it really slows down my website. even when i am using a wp-super cache plugin

By default the chat plugin will poll your system each second per user and query for new chat messages. So yes it can effect your site. Try to keep the chat sessions to a minimum. For example you may not be able to run the Bottom Corner and/or Widget chats. Instead stick to Page chat which only run on certain pages.

Also you can change the poll frequency. go to Chat > Settings Common. The first tab 'Poll Intervals' lets you set how often the chat checks for new message. Try setting this to 2 seconds. It really is not a matter of how much memory although that does help. More specific how well your database is tuned. If you are on cheap hosting this might be the problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.