Chat plugin was the cause of my hosting service taking the website down

I installed the chat plugin and used it for a 2 hour broadcast. There were 8 people on the page I was using and maybe 20 messages in total were exchanged. Within a short period, my host, Inmotion Hosting, took my entire site down because they say the Chat function was creating 50,000 queries per minute and that it was using all the system resources of the server.

I also discovered that the plugin conflicts with another plugin which is core the my site functionality. It removes the ability in that plugin to write any text in any part of the admin areas.

Also, it was not obvious to me how to uninstall the plugin and I had to get my developer to fix it.

Please can you advise. Thank you.

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @nick_connor

I hope you are well today. Sorry to hear of the issues your having with the chat plugin.

It shouldn't be creating anywhere close to 50,000 queries per minute, can you place in a zip file your server error logs and ask your host for a log of the queries please?

I will flag the lead developer on this for you and also could you let us know which plugin is conflicting please? :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Paul

@nick_connor,

Well, the chat plugin can totally suck the life out of a server. A lot depends on how the hosting server is configured. Keep in mind that by default the Chat plugin will make an AJAX call each second for each user. This can be changed within the chat settings. I doubt the number 50,000 per second. But I'm only talking Chat. For each AJAX call made to the server WordPress has to go through it's own startup initialization. So it you are running a bunch of other plugins then this is in effect the same as a full page load for each AJAX request.

I also discovered that the plugin conflicts with another plugin which is core the my site functionality. It removes the ability in that plugin to write any text in any part of the admin areas.

you may be past this since you have uninstalled the chat plugin but I'm not sure I follow your statement. Specifically the "It removes the ability in that plugin to write any text in any part of the admin areas." Are you saying Chat does this? The chat plugin has been tested on many dozen WP and server configuration. I don't recall seeing this report from any of the beta testers. You can always turn off Chat within the wp-admin area.

Also, it was not obvious to me how to uninstall the plugin and I had to get my developer to fix it.

Um. Same way any WordPress plugin is uninstalled. Via the Plugins page. Again not sure if this is a dead issue since I'm assuming the plugin was uninstalled somehow.

Other than my comments on the above if you have decided not to use the plugin then I'm not sure there is much else I can do here. Thanks.

• Paul

@nick_connor,

Just saw something on another members site that made me thing you might have been experiencing that same. View the following video.

http://screencast.com/t/DYDAbl3xHmr

This is from Firebug a debug tool showing the AJAX requests from my browser to the members site. Notice the requests are just one after the other. This is not right. The requests should be at minimum one per second. For some reason this user's setup did not have the poll interval set correctly. Partly plugin issue for not checking the default.

So you may have been having the same issue with your 8 users. Given this amount of polling no wonder the queries hit 50k. Apologies.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.