Chat Problem

I have installed Chat and set it to be used in the bottom corner of the site. However, when a user tries to login with any of the three ways the message turns to: The Moderator has closed this chat session and nothing further can be done.

Is there some kind of permissions problem here or am I missing something.

I've tried using IE, FF and Chrome.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello Craig,
    Try this:
    While you're logged in as an admin, visit your frontend and see if there's a button that says "Open Chat" or something like that (see attached screenshot).

Keep in mind that you shouldn't have clients as moderators though, because if you do they'll be able to delete messages and close the chat too!

Cheers,
    Aristeides.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Hi Aristeides,

Yes this "Open Chat" button is there when I'm logged in as Admin. It is not there otherwise though. So website visitors cannot see it.

I have Client as a moderator because my client is running the site and needs to be able to manage the whole chat thing.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Yes it's working for Admin and Client but if you go to the site as a first time visitor and click on the "Click here to chat" link in the bottom right corner you get the chat box pop up and it says: "To get started just enter your email address and desired username.

If you do this it just says: "The moderator has closed this chat session"

Also, it shows the Facebook login button but not the Twitter login button

• aristath
    • Recruit

I've logged in the site as an administrator and everything works fine, provided you follow the instructions I posted earlier.

Once a moderator presses the "Open Chat" button, the message is no longer displayed to users and they can chat. I made a screencast of my test, you can see it here: http://youtu.be/UMVxDuLuULk
    on the left I'm logged in as an administrator and on the right browser window I'm an anonymous visitor (using a chrome incognito session).

Please test it yourself and let me know of your findings.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Ok Ari, thanks for your video. I understand how it works now.

Admin have to be logged in, have the site open in a browser and have the Chat Open.

Thanks for your assistance.

However, I still have a couple of problems.

(1) The Twitter login button is not showing. Can you take a look at the attached images showing twitter settings to make sure the settings are correct?

(2) I logged in as admin on one computer and opened the chat. On a second computer I logged in as a user requiring assistance and began a chat session. On a third computer, I went to the site and before I could even login I could see the chat session going on between admin and the user. Obviously this isn't very secure. Can you look into this please buddy?

Thanks
    Craig

EDIT FROM POST MODERATOR: Images removed for security reasons.

• aristath
    • Recruit

The Twitter login button is not showing. Can you take a look at the attached images showing twitter settings to make sure the settings are correct?

On the test site on http://www.leadgenerationstudio.com/basic/ twitter works perfectly fine, so your twitter settings are correct. There must be something else interfering on your other sites. It could be theme-related or a javascript conflict with another plugin!
    Unfortunately though I couldn't test it as it's currently disabled on them.

(2) I logged in as admin on one computer and opened the chat. On a second computer I logged in as a user requiring assistance and began a chat session. On a third computer, I went to the site and before I could even login I could see the chat session going on between admin and the user. Obviously this isn't very secure. Can you look into this please buddy?

Though your chat is public, there is no security risk for you or your site. :slight_smile:

Since the issue of your original post has solved, I am marking it as resolved. If you feel that there's more to it then feel free to reopen it.

I would advise that you create a separate issue for your twitter and/or facebook issues, as this will help other users to also find it more easily, comment on it and in the future perhaps even find a solution to a problem of their own. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Hi Ari,

Thanks for your response. I fail to see how this is not a security risk as users may give account login details and they would be open for everyone to see. If this is the way the plugin works then I will not be able to use it.

Also, are you saying that this chat is open to all members? If so, can you please delete the twitter settings images above as they contain access tokens and token secrets, etc.

Thank you for your time.

• aristath
    • Recruit

I fail to see how this is not a security risk as users may give account login details and they would be open for everyone to see.

Their acount details are not open to anyone.
    The only visible part is their username, and that's not a security risk. If it were a security risk, then twitter for example would have all usernames hidden.

can you please delete the twitter settings images above as they contain access tokens and token secrets, etc.

Done.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Sorry Ari but I can see the whole chat conversation going on from another computer. So, if the user gives out login details to, let's say, their twitter account because they want me to make some changes for them (this is an example), then anyone on the site who opens the chat box can see that conversation and subsequently view the login details.

That's what I meant when I said to you that I could see the whole chat conversation from a third computer. The chat is open.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Oh, now I understand what you mean!

Admins have a "clear" button that can erase the conversation after they get the login details.

But besides that, NEVER, EVER request login credentials on a public place!
    Simply request your clients to send emails to your account. There's nothing safer than that... and that's what we also do as you noticed when I requested access to your site just a few replies ago.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Craig
    • Flash Drive

Yes, of course I wouldn't do that but some users may do it (I know I can delete it).

I hope you don't mind me saying that it would be a much better system if the chat was only open to the admin and the user. I think many people would be horrified to learn that their chat conversation was open for all to read.

So personally I think it would be better if, when someone else tried to access chat at the same time they would not see anyone else's chat conversation.

I know that my own client's would not want me to install this system on their website.

Anyway, just my two cents :wink: Thanks for your help Ari. You've been great!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.