Check-in for attendees in Events +

We are trying to migrate from Event Espresso to a combination of Events + and Marketpress, and one of the biggest hurdles for us right now is the ability to check-in attendees to an event.

It would be really great if event creators were able to not only cancel and delete attendees, but mark an attendee as 'checked-in' to an event.

What we planned to do is re-purpose the 'shipped' state for a Marketpress product as the 'checked-in' state we need, but it also seems that you can only mark the entire order as shipped and not just individual products (which would be a problem for someone who purchased tickets to multiple events in one order).

We're really hoping that we can fill in the gaps (of which there are few) to get this working as a replacement for our clients using Event Espresso now.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Cara,

As you have already noticed, this is currently not possible; however, it is definitely a feature that would be very handy!

At the moment it would likely take a good amount of custom coding to achieve; so, I have called in second level support (the coding experts) to get their feedback.

Perhaps we will be able to find a work around until it is officially added!

Have you already checked out the usage guide? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/events-plus/#usage

In the mean time, let us know what other issues you are running into and we are always here to help :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Scott

Hi Tyler,

Yes we are currently working on some workarounds using the limitations of what is there.

What we are doing is using Events + with restricted user capabilities, so that event promoters can log in to the site and view their events and their attendees and ticket sales. (This is one area where Events + is a little limited but will work for our purposes for now. It would be cool if the RSVP section could be extracted to be it's own page - in the front or back end - as it is a little bit hard to find and one of the most important things a promoter will be looking at after their event has gone live)

We are using Marketpress to handle the ticket sales so that we can have users purchase multiple tickets to multiple events at once. We also really want to replicate something similar to what Event Espresso does with their QR code email tickets. They have an app, but we figured that wouldn't be necessary. If the QR code that we email to the user has a url that links to the back end of the site (they would have to log in once and they would be able to access the links) where the person at the door could mark the ticket as used (or the user as 'checked-in'). So far we have the QR code implemented, and right now it links back to the order information page in the back end of Marketpress. What we did as a workaround so far is to use the Ultimate Branding plugin to change the name of the 'Shipped' state to be called 'Checked-in'. That way the door person can check the ticket off as being used.

The biggest problem we have run into with our workaround is that individual items can not be marked as shipped one at a time - only the entire order at once (which causes a problem for us if users purchase tickets to multiple events).

The other option we were considering was having the QR link back to the back end event page where they could see the list of attendees (this is where the check-in toggle would be great - as well as the separate page for attendees like I suggested above). I figure if that was in place it wouldn't be too difficult to pass a variable in the url that marks the user as checked-in automatically and returns a yes or no depending on if the user has already been checked-in.

I know this probably sounds like a whole lot of feature requests, but it really doesn't seem too far from what already exists in the plugins.

• Tyler Postle

How are the work-arounds going?

The biggest problem we have run into with our workaround is that individual items can not be marked as shipped one at a time - only the entire order at once (which causes a problem for us if users purchase tickets to multiple events).

I see how this is a big problem. Checking out one a time through the normal Events+ checkout page would solve this; however, not a very convenient solution if people are buying multiple tickets :slight_frown:

What we did as a workaround so far is to use the Ultimate Branding plugin to change the name of the 'Shipped' state to be called 'Checked-in'. That way the door person can check the ticket off as being used.

Very creative! I'm going to remember that for others who have similar issues.

I know this probably sounds like a whole lot of feature requests, but it really doesn't seem too far from what already exists in the plugins.

Posts like these are what make our plugins better going forward :slight_smile: The developer sees all feature and feedback posts, so they will be able to consider all these for future versions.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Kyle

We are also started testing Events+ to replace Event Espresso and running into short-comings. The most obvious for us right now is the ability to check-in guests at the front desk. We love the ease with which our staff can RSVP for our events, but we need to confirm they have actually attended. While we know we can do this manually, we then want them to complete an online survey / course which they can only see if they attend the event. Instead of making this a manual export / update / import process, it would be really handy to have the check-in function coded into this process so we can check-in guests and trigger access to our courses.

Any update on this? I know Event Espresso has allowed customers to vote up features and contribute funds to enable them to build out things...is WPMU up for that?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.