checkout and user registration questions

Hello,

I'm new to WPMU, and have been reading the forums for the last 2 days researching marketpress - and it seems to be an awesome plugin and ideal for a project I'm about to start (essentially, I'm trying to set up an Etsy-like site). Before I jump in, I do have a few questions I'm hoping can be addressed.

Regarding global checkout and chained payments, I understand this is not possible, but might be an added feature down the road. The last forum post I saw was from a few months ago, so I'm wondering (hoping) if there are any updates on this?

Taking a cut of user sales is fundamental to the site I'm building, so I guess I'll have to use individual checkouts. My concern is that a visitor will add a product to his/her cart on one store, continue to shop around other stores, and then not be able to find their way back to their product to checkout. I'm probably overlooking something quite obvious, but how have others addressed this issue?

If I use individual carts, I can charge users a one-time fee to set up the store, correct?

Regardless of global or individual carts, payments between buyer and seller are strictly between buyer and seller, right? In other words, the network admin will not have to disburse payments?

In terms of users registering and setting up their own stores on the network, I was planning on using Gravity Forms for registration - is there a better way to do it, or can MarketPress handle it? Or do I need an entirely different plugin?

Once users are registered, will they be directed to their own admin panel to set up shop? I assume this is the way it happens.

Last question - I've used WP Multisite before, but only w/3 sites in the network. Are there any limitations to the number of stores that can be set up?

Thanks so much, and apologies for the long post - I just want to make sure I've covered my bases before my client commits. Can't wait to get started w/MarketPress!

Andy

• aecnu

Greetings Andy,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

Regarding global checkout and chained payments, I understand this is not possible, but might be an added feature down the road. The last forum post I saw was from a few months ago, so I'm wondering (hoping) if there are any updates on this?

Chained payments + global shopping cart is not implemented and is likely not going to be. Global shopping cart uses PayPal Parallel Payments, which apparently is not compatible with Chained Payments - and is in fact a PayPal limitation in this respect.

I'm probably overlooking something quite obvious, but how have others addressed this issue?

It is not normal for a person to shop at Kmart, leave the store with the goods, and go to Sears to check out. In other words with the single cart what chances are there that they are going to find another store within your network? Unless it is promoted that way.

If I use individual carts, I can charge users a one-time fee to set up the store, correct?

Yes that would be best handled using the Pro Sites plugin.

Regardless of global or individual carts, payments between buyer and seller are strictly between buyer and seller, right? In other words, the network admin will not have to disburse payments?

When configured properly that is correct.

In terms of users registering and setting up their own stores on the network, I was planning on using Gravity Forms for registration - is there a better way to do it, or can MarketPress handle it? Or do I need an entirely different plugin?

This would be best handled using the Pro Sites plugin.

Once users are registered, will they be directed to their own admin panel to set up shop? I assume this is the way it happens.

Yes they will activate there site an go right into it.

Last question - I've used WP Multisite before, but only w/3 sites in the network. Are there any limitations to the number of stores that can be set up?

Yes, your hosting resources are the limit.

Thanks for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• zeroplusone

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for your quick and thorough reply. I'd like to follow up on one response b/c I may not have articulated my question well:

It is not normal for a person to shop at Kmart, leave the store with the goods, and go to Sears to check out. In other words with the single cart what chances are there that they are going to find another store within your network? Unless it is promoted that way.

I actually don't want this site to feel like completely different stores. All user stores will have the same theme, look and feel (apart from being differentiated by their name and products). The idea is that the newest products throughout the network will be featured on the homepage of the main site. Search functionality spanning the network of the sites is also a key component.

In other words, I want my site to function like Etsy. So, with individual checkout, will I be able to have a shopping cart (in the header for example) that can hold products from various stores, and been seen regardless of where on the network a user may be. Once that user decided to buy their products, they would just have to check out multiple times? Does that make sense?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the assistance!
    Andy

• aecnu

Greetings Andy,

In other words, I want my site to function like Etsy. So, with individual checkout, will I be able to have a shopping cart (in the header for example) that can hold products from various stores, and been seen regardless of where on the network a user may be. Once that user decided to buy their products, they would just have to check out multiple times? Does that make sense?

You are right on the money with your clarification and it makes absolute sense.

You can use a global cart to allow one checkout for all. Because of how the system works each shop uses their own PayPal address. PayPal themselves put a limit on global carts to 10.

For specific Store shortcodes you can find those in the stores settings page:

Admin --> Products --> Store Settings --> Shortcodes

wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=product&page=marketpress&tab=shortcodes

And for Network shortcodes like a global list:

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings --> MarketPress

wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=marketpress-ms

At the bottom of the page is a list of shortcodes you can use for global carts. There are shortcodes for global products, tags and categories.

If the above has answered all your questions relative to this thread, please mark as resolved below.

If you have any questions not related to this thread please create a new ticket.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

• aecnu

Greetings Andy,

Just checking in to see if this ticket was not resolved?

It has been quite awhile since we have heard from you regarding this ticket that I am going to mark it as resolved.

However, if the issues brought up in this ticket have not been resolved, please mark the ticket below as not resolved and include and new errors or symptoms you may have encountered.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.