child blogs are unable to disable ads on their sites

Hi all,

Still a newbee to WPMU.

We have Ads Sharing, Plugin Manager, and Supporter plugins, WPMU 2.8.4a.

I would like to grant a child blog (Blog Id 2) supporter rights for 30 days, in order that ads did not display in this child blog.

I went to the main site, Site Admin>Supporter
Then, in Extend Blog entered Blog Id of the child blog that I want to extend which is number 2 and then choose 30 days. Clicked on Continue.

Now I go to child blog 2 and went to Options>Supporter and it states that supporter priviledges will expire on 9-30-09.

Then, I go to Supporter>Disable Ads and on the search field enter the name of the child blog, clicked search but it is not there. I left the search field empty and clicked on search and it only shows the Main blog. Its like the supporter is able to disable ads only on the main blog.

I have supporter_ads.php, ad_sharing.php, plugin_manager.php into mu-plugins.

What I am doing wrong? How do supporters Disable ads on their blogs?

Thanks.

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

If you are using the ad sharing plugin, wouldn't the ads show up on all blogs whether they are supporter or not?

Yep, the ads would show up regardless.

Then, I go to Supporter>Disable Ads and on the search field enter the name of the child blog, clicked search but it is not there. I left the search field empty and clicked on search and it only shows the Main blog. Its like the supporter is able to disable ads only on the main blog.

If you've upgraded the "child blog" to a supporter then there's no need for it to show up in the search results. Supporter blogs have ads disabled automatically.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• cbriere
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, a apologize for the confussion created. As indicated I'm still a newbee in WPMU. I only tried to express in a way to make it easier to understand.

When I used the term "child" I meant any blog (subfolder) created under the main (parent WPMU) blog.

For example, the main blog is mainblog.com and the child blog is mainblog.com/blog1/

Now, back to the issue,

If you've upgraded the "child blog" to a supporter then there's no need for it to show up in the search results. Supporter blogs have ads disabled automatically.

That's exactly the problem. The "child blog" (wow new termimology!) was upgraded as a Supporter, but still displays Google Ads. As a result, ads were not disabled automatically as expected.

Currently the Disable Ads status on the child blog is as follows:

Maximum blogs: 1
    Currently disabling ads on: 0
    Remaining: 1

Again, I apologize for the inconveniences. If someone could explain the correct terminology, I will appreciate it.

• Michaela Conley

The Main WPMU Blog is called the "Site" while other Blogs are referred too as "Blogs", or "Sub-Blogs"

Regarding your problem as mentioned above:

If you are using the ad sharing plugin, wouldn't the ads show up on all blogs whether they are supporter or not?

Yep, the ads would show up regardless.

Just my two cents.

• cbriere

@ Andrew & joshmac
    Thanks for the info.
    It seems that I missed that "with the ads_sharing plugin ads will always be displayed" no matter the blog is a supporter or not.

@hpcareernet
    Thanks for the terminology tutorial.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.