Child Theme for Coursepress Pro

I've followed your instructions on how to create a child theme and I'm having problems. The child theme is activated, we can modify styles and they show up. When we make changes in the child styles.css some of these are applied (anything new), but the existing parent seems to trump over any child styles - i.e when we change the font color of the heading, in the child styles.css, this is ignored. When we bold the headings, this is applied.

So we went back into the normal customization screen to fix the colors and noticed that the header logo image had reverted back to the coursepress one, but when we went to replace it, it wouldn't load the media library.

After reading another forum on how to fix this, I deactivated all plugins and now I'm trying to reactivate them. The first one was Coursepress and I received this message -

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/themes/coursepress-child/functions.php:1) in /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1178

When I went back into plugins, it was showing as reactivated. I went to reactivate Marketpress and it just goes to a blank screen, but again, it's activated.

Is there something that I have missed? I was wondering if the issue has to do with the Coursepress parent theme being under a different folder structure? As it doesn't belong in the /wp-content/themes folder. Does this mean the child functions.php should be modified to point back to the parent? Here's exactly what's in that file:

<?php

/**
* CoursePress child theme
*/

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_parent_styles' );
function enqueue_parent_styles() {
wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri().'/style.css' );
}