Child Theme for Coursepress Pro

I've followed your instructions on how to create a child theme and I'm having problems. The child theme is activated, we can modify styles and they show up. When we make changes in the child styles.css some of these are applied (anything new), but the existing parent seems to trump over any child styles - i.e when we change the font color of the heading, in the child styles.css, this is ignored. When we bold the headings, this is applied.

So we went back into the normal customization screen to fix the colors and noticed that the header logo image had reverted back to the coursepress one, but when we went to replace it, it wouldn't load the media library.

After reading another forum on how to fix this, I deactivated all plugins and now I'm trying to reactivate them. The first one was Coursepress and I received this message -

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/themes/coursepress-child/functions.php:1) in /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 1178

When I went back into plugins, it was showing as reactivated. I went to reactivate Marketpress and it just goes to a blank screen, but again, it's activated.

Is there something that I have missed? I was wondering if the issue has to do with the Coursepress parent theme being under a different folder structure? As it doesn't belong in the /wp-content/themes folder. Does this mean the child functions.php should be modified to point back to the parent? Here's exactly what's in that file:

<?php

/**
* CoursePress child theme
*/

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'enqueue_parent_styles' );
function enqueue_parent_styles() {
wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri().'/style.css' );
}

• Tony
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Further to the above, on some pages, this is now coming up:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/themes/coursepress-child/functions.php:1) in /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php on line 3023

Just to show you what's in our child style.css:

/*
    Theme Name: Coursepress Pro Child Theme
    Theme URI: http://pponline.peacefulparenting.com.au/coursepress-child/
    Description: Modified child theme for CoursePress
    Author: Vanessa Lewis
    Author URI: http://pponline.peacefulparenting.com.au/
    Template: coursepress
    Version: 1.0.0
    License: GNU General Public License
    License URI: license.txt
    Text Domain: coursepress
    Domain Path: /languages/
    Tags: course, courses, learning, teaching, training, e-learning, e-commerce

*/

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
    color: #481585;
    font-weight: bold;
    }

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Tony,

Hope you're doing well today!

The reason you were getting this warning:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/themes/coursepress-child/functions.php:1) in /home/peacefu0/public_html/pponline/wp-content/plugins/marketpress/marketpress.php on line 3023

Is most likely because there was a line of white space in the child theme functions.php you had. On line 1.

The first line of a php file must have the php opening tag, otherwise you end up with a warning like that one.

As for the styles, it sounds like you might not have been sepcific enough with the CSS.

Depending what classes/ID's are used, different styles will be taken as priority over others. Regardless of which style sheet there in.

Using h1, h2, h3 will be easily overwritten by a style like:

.course-title h1 {
    color: #fff;
    }

This is just an example, because I don't think that class actually exists, but if it did then whatever style you placed there would be taken as priority over just "h1". This is likely the issue you ran into.

If you want to re-visit this and need any further assistance just let us know :slight_smile:

Enjoy the rest of your day!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.