Child Themes -are they included with your themes?

This is a more general question, not JUST about the Spirit theme.

Which themes "come" with a basic child theme included? If any.

I've read that they aren't hard to create. If so, why not include them "with" each theme you create?

I for one would appreciate having theme come with the themes.

Would this be do able? If so, could you start with the 3 newer themes. Spirit, fixer, and scribe?

Thanks,
Tom

• aristath

Hello there @Director98248, I hope you're well today!

Which themes "come" with a basic child theme included? If any.

The themes that come with child themes are Upfront and FrameMarket

I've read that they aren't hard to create. If so, why not include them "with" each theme you create?

Yes, they are pretty easy to create. All you have to do is create a new folder in your themes directory, add an index.php file and a style.css file.
    They are not included in most themes (not just ours... that's general in WordPress themes) because
    a) they are easy to create
    b) most times they are not necessary.

You should only use child themes if you want to add your own custom templates.
    Most people simply want to add their own custom CSS and for that it's better to just use a plugin like https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Would this be do able? If so, could you start with the 3 newer themes. Spirit, fixer, and scribe?

It would be doable... but not for the 3 themes you mentioned. These 3 already are child themes. Their parent theme is the Upfront theme. Having grand-child themes is not always as straight-forward as having child-themes.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Director98248

Thanks. I did some more looking around and found out more about Upfront. There have been some updates that I wasn't aware of. I now see that "Upfront" is the parent framework, and Spirit, Fixer, and Scribe ARE "child" themes for "Upfront".

I see that this new framework is an advance in themes, but of coarse this always means another learning curve. I've found the Upfront pdf guide and will be looking through it.

Can you provide more links to any other instructional material or videos on your blog, or other places about using Upfront?

Thanks,
    Tom

• aristath

Hello again!

Can you provide more links to any other instructional material or videos on your blog, or other places about using Upfront?

Other than the PDF you already found not yet.
    Upfront is still pretty new and we're writing the documentation for that as we speak. :slight_smile:

However we'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about it, all you have to do is open up a new thread for them in these forums.

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.