Child Themes vs. New Blog Templates

Howdy,

I'm building to have about 1,000 different domains in my multisite network. Initially I've been working with assigning a unique child theme to each domain. This allows me to change the background image and some CSS. It's a lot of work, though when you need so many child themes. Can you please explain if this plugin might be more efficient as I scale to 1,000 or more?

My main difference among all child themes is simply changing the background images. My second difference is I use about 12 different color combinations which are adjusted in CSS. If I could setup 12 basic templates, and then just change the background image for my 1,000 domains using this plugin, without the need for child themes, that would be awesome!

Thanks,
Martin

DavidM

Hiya Martin,

New Blog Templates wouldn't allow the initial settings you specify to persist (admins would be able to edit settings after the site's created), but it could definitely make the setup process far easier, allowing you to setup a single blog, for instance, with one color theme and other settings, and use that blog as a template during the creation process.

To be clear, it doesn't currently provide a way for users to select from the list of available templates, but you as Super Admin can do so when creating sites from the Network Admin > Sites page. It also doesn't provide a way to keep templated blogs in sync with the blog they were created with.

Would that work for your case?

DavidM

Hi Martin,

Sorry if that seemed unclear. New Blog Templates merely relies on the options available for the particular theme being used. If that theme provides an option in the admin back-end for customizing the background, then you could set a background for that option in a site, and use that site as a template with which to create other sites that would then have that same background.

It basically depends on the options the theme itself provides.

alberti

Hi David,

Thanks! Can you please clarify? Assuming my theme allows me to change background in the admin backend, I'm still trying to understand if I should use child themes, or the New Templates plugin.

A big advantage of child themes is that the child automatically updates as the parent is updated. A big disadvantage is that managing 1000 child themes in wp-admin is a real pain, and setting up each child theme takes longer than would the plugin.

Which option would be more manageable, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Mason

Hiya alberti,

Can you please clarify? Assuming my theme allows me to change background in the admin backend, I'm still trying to understand if I should use child themes, or the New Templates plugin.

I don't think you have a need for this plugin. Everything you need can be taken care of with your themes.

This plugin is really about bringing extra content over during a new site creation - things like activated plugins, blog settings, users, posts, pages, etc.

If I understand what you're looking for the real question is - does your child theme allow for you to customize the background of your site? If so, I'd just create your 12 child plugins and then assign them to the blogs - you can go through them individually and assign the background colors through the theme options.

If your child theme doesn't allow for custom backgrounds through the admin (theme options) then it's actually extremely easy to add:
    add_custom_background();
    o your child theme's function.php file.

Hope this helps!