Choose proper plugins for my application

I purchased 1-yr access to all your plugins.

My client wants a site on which:
1. Users can input their personal info to become members.
2. Members can purchase various fitness & nutrition plans, like 6 sessions for $100 to meet the next 3 Tuesdays & Thursdays for 60 minutes beginning at 8:00 pm.
3. Double bookings at any given time will not be allowed.
4. Admin can view (& edit) the bookings schedule.
5. Admin can view (& edit) the accounting, as to who is paid and who owes.

I’m considering the plugins: Membership, Protected Content, Appointments . . .

What plugin(s) would you recommend and what would be the best theme for this application?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Charles,

Hope you're doing well today! Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community :slight_smile:

1. Users can input their personal info to become members.

Are you wanting to create custom fields?

Either way, Protected Content or Membership should work for this :slight_smile: creating the custom fields will take a bit of custom coding, or you could use BuddyPress with Membership to create custom fields in the registration.

2. Members can purchase various fitness & nutrition plans, like 6 sessions for $100 to meet the next 3 Tuesdays & Thursdays for 60 minutes beginning at 8:00 pm.
    3. Double bookings at any given time will not be allowed.
    4. Admin can view (& edit) the bookings schedule.
    5. Admin can view (& edit) the accounting, as to who is paid and who owes.

You can get them to buy the package through MarketPress. Then once purchased send them the link to the booking page in the thank you for your order email - then they can book off the times they want to do :slight_smile:

This allows you to make sure there is no over booking.

Admins can view and manage the bookings. Only users who have paid will get the link to book appointments. There is a manually payment option in MarketPress too for those who will pay in person.

How does this sound?

As for the theme, you can really use any theme you like :slight_smile: none of these plugins are theme dependent.

Our FrameMarket theme or SimpleMarket theme are popular choices. Or you could even use a third party theme, which we have some very comprehensive lists for on our blog: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/30-free-responsive-and-stunning-wordpress-themes/

One last thing, which pages do you need protected from visitors? I'm thinking if you force only logged in users to create appointments/purchase products then you don't even need Protected Content or Membership in this case.

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

• Charles

Thanks, Tyler, for your response.

Suppose I start with the SimpleMarket theme and the MarketPress plugin.

Then here are my questions:

(1) At that point, would I have what I need to define the various plans and allow users to purchase them?

(2) If needed, could I upgrade down the road to the FrameMarket theme without creating problems?

(3) Would I need the Member plugin to allow member registrations?

(4) Would I need the Appointments+ plugin to schedule training sessions?

(5) What would I need to connect the MemberID with the PurchaseID and the ScheduleIDs?

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Charles!

(1) At that point, would I have what I need to define the various plans and allow users to purchase them?

Your theme should ultimately have very little to do with the functionality of your site, your theme is like the clothes your site wears, changing themes should be as easy as changing your shirt. Which theme you use should/will have very little influence over how you create your site protection.

(2) If needed, could I upgrade down the road to the FrameMarket theme without creating problems?

FrameMarket isn't so much an upgrade as it is a different way to display your content. Both of these themes do essentially the same thing, FrameMarket just has a bit more styling.

(3) Would I need the Member plugin to allow member registrations?

Nope! You can enable registration via Settings>General on your dashboard. WP comes with a default registration template, or, if you're using Membership or Protected Content, they come with custom registration pages.

(4) Would I need the Appointments+ plugin to schedule training sessions?

Do the training sessions take place at specific times? If so, then yes. If it's more of a distance-learning type training, where members can work at their own pace through the sessions, I'd use CoursePress instead.

(5) What would I need to connect the MemberID with the PurchaseID and the ScheduleIDs?

I'm not sure what you want to achieve here, would you mind explaining this more? If it's what I think, there's no need to connect these manually, WordPress will recognize logged in members and attach any applicable data to the user ID.

Hope this helps!

• Michelle Shull

Hi Charles!

(1) I would like each user to Register.

Great! Then you'll want to be sure you have registration enabled.

(2) I want to require the user to login to purchase fitness plans and to schedule session times.

Here, you'd want to protect the purchase pages for fitness plans and the appointment setting page from non-members.

(3) So, I need to keep track of each member's purchased plans and scheduled times.

WordPress will do this for you, you'll be able to see a record of all purchases and appointments in your admin dashboard, there's nothing extra you need to do for this to happen.

Hope this helps! : )

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Charles!

To fix the Home button in your nav menu, go to Appearances > Menus, and drag the home button to the top of the menu item list.

To add a login button, you'll want to add a new menu item, with a link to your login page (http://hardcorefitness.co/wp-login.php). It's also in the meta widget in your left sidebar. If you'd like it to be in the sidebar as it's own widget, just make a new text widget, and create a link to the login page.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.