Choosing Hosting Company

Hi There,
I have just purchased the yearly WPMU package. I will be planing to set up a website platform that allows users to sign up for their own lead building website for their business.
So I am envisioning that I will have a lot of people register for the website package.
Obviously before I start developing the structure, I will need to install the Wordpress installation on my host.
I currently have a Hostgator BABY PLAN account. But I am thinking I may need to just open a new account for this on a better host plan...
What do you suggest I do??
Thank you and look forward to your response?
Regards,
Kris

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

GoDaddy is slow and has a few issues that are problematic for really large sites, and Yahoo Business sucks booty. They claim to support WordPress, but actually can't support most plug-in's at all. Media Template is really a pain in the arse with they they set up their files.

In short, I really can't advise you as to what the best solution is, I can just tell you what isn't.

My personal preference is Network Solutions. I have a nice fat hosting package that is fast and comes with maybe 1000 email addresses? I currently host 32 sites with no speed issues. Some are small beans, but a few of the sites draw major international traffic.

Customer support phone calls start out seeking to sell you paid support, but if you bypass that crap, you can actually get excellent (and free) 24-7 support.

I am rather testy that they try to get you pay for 'better' support, but if you know not to pay for it, you'll get excellent hosting and support here.

Good luck!

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya !

@camparoo : Thanks for pitching in on this one.

@KZ : This is a great question and it can have different approaches as an answer.

I would prefer to choose a hosting which can not only handle the load if there is a spike but also give me a good memory limit and more timeout value.

There are a few threads you may want to give a read to

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/support-advice
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/whos-your-favorite-wp-hosting-provider-and-why
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/having-serious-troubles-with-my-vps-memory

There are a few expert comments by @JamesDunn @aecnu and our other members too :slight_smile:

Cheers
    PC
    WPMU DEV Support

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey PC, thanks for the points!

An important message I wanted to send to KZ: While many topics can be researched using the internet, this is not one of them.

Companies offering hosting use crazy strategy to provide excellent bogus service reviews to potential customers. Anything you see in the first 200+ reviews on Google, for example, is bought and paid for. It simply is not real.

All of the descriptions and posts are the same, and the service quality has nothing to do with anything you read in search results. You were smart to ask here! Stay smart.

Ask here, ask friends, but only do a search if you are looking for comedy. The results are created by people who want your money and don't care how they get it.

Hilarious, yes? If I want an appliance, I'll search the web. If I want a web service, I'll ask my buds.

• KZ
    • New Recruit

Thanks all for the feedback!

@ PC the threads helped

I currently have a Baby Plan with Hostgator, so I might just play around
    with that to start with.

@ Joe (aecnu) Im interested in looking into wpmu-hosting.
    Im trying to stay away from getting to technical with server stuff,
    just want something thats going to give my sites a stable long lasting
    platform with good speed, easy set up and so forth!

Thanks again!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings @KZ,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated and acknowledged.

The key to hosting specifically targeted to WordPress has more to do with server configuration targeted at meeting the specific needs of WordPress, which gives the user a much smoother and less eventful installation then most hosts consider.

As just a small example, every hosting account with us comes with the php.ini memory set to 512 MB of real memory while most hosts in comparison have this set between 32MB and 64MB --> giving a "cant touch this" approach when considering their configurations.

Though there are several other tweaks done to our servers that make them scream not only with WordPress but anything putting them to the task, I am not at liberty to disclose all the items nor for competitive reasons would it be wise to do so.

But as those who do host with me know, my stuff is the cats meow and the servers scream along pushing out the pages.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community member!

Cheers, Joe

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

@aecnu he has some of the best hosting out there just ask my wife she run http://www.superblogs.co.za with a bout 200 customer domains on it and geuss what the server has never gone down the emails always works the customers are happy @aecnu well done on setting the bar for wordpress hosting.

Here is a link to all his hosting deals.

Ps i bought a dedicated server from @aecnu and bloglines.co.za is super happy :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Mark,

Thank you so much for the compliments and basically a testimonial, it is greatly appreciated.

There are indeed many folks here on WPMU Dev that host with me but I cannot disclose who they are myself, they must do it as you have done and thank you so much.

I am thankful to all the folks who have disclosed this fact for the new folks and those who have not disclosed this for whatever reason and for the business they do indeed give me - You are all appreciated and cherished.

Knowing there are a billion places to host with, I am blessed to have all of you folks realizing my services and that I truly offer top quality service at extremely competitive pricing.

Sincerely, Joe

• BobSgt
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

While this is an older topic, I am compelled to leave my footprints here.

I have to agree that WPMU hosting and AECNU are top shelf.

I moved from GoDaddy where performance was so slow that there was at least a 40% penalty to get anything done. Test it, how long does it take to submit a service request and how long does the little disk spin waiting completion. So an 8 hour work day becomes an effective 5 hour work day. Time is money you know, so add that to the cost of the hosting plan.

When I had issues with GoDaddy, AECNU, spoke up with his shameless self promotion (well deserved I might add). The price was right for a multisite install, so it was worth giving it a try. Since then, I have never looked back.

WPMU Hosting gives me an 8 hour workday, my questions and issues are addressed and resolved promptly, along with professional guidance when security issues came up. So bewteen WPMU community, WPMU tools and WPMU hosting I am covered and am pleased to provide a reference.

• Mark de Scande
    • Syntax Hero

Hello There

Kind words

WPMU Hosting gives me an 8 hour workday, my questions and issues are addressed and resolved promptly, along with professional guidance when security issues came up. So bewteen WPMU community, WPMU tools and WPMU hosting I am covered and am pleased to provide a reference.

I can say the same thing about @aecnu AKA Joe is my rock star he always helps and sometimes can be super funny love you dearly .... :slight_smile:

Thank you Kindly
    Mark de Scande

• xbladerunner
    • Syntax Hero

Hey Everyone,

I've been with InMotionHosting loyally for about ten years, the past two years however my customer service experience has been terrible, the worst of it over the past two weeks -- so I'm ready to move on. May I speak to you, Joe, offline about how to make the transition to your multisite hosting service?

Stefan

• wowlookart

Rackspace blows my mind, they are your "server guy" 24/7/365.

They don't sell 'cheap' hosting, they sell business grade hosting and up. So if you are getting 500 hits a day or 5million they can grow with you.

I use them for my companies dev sites, our product sites, and my clients live sites. Cloud hosting FTW~

• A.F.
    • Flash Drive

@KZ (Just so you know I use WordPress for personal and non-commercial purposes and am in no way an expert)

Someone disagreed, but I like MediaTemple personally. It's a little more expensive than the bargain wholesalers, but I think its worth it. I'm not skilled enough, but a lot of people swear by VPS hosting -- Linode for example.

There was this little host I used once called asmallorange.com -- they seemed OK.

My two cents

• wowlookart

@KZ I agree, I use Rackspace for similar reasons. I am not a server person so I would not know how to setup my own VPS. A huge part of my decision for hosting is having a "managed" option so I can have them set everything up and maintain it.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings everyone :slight_smile:

Sorry I have not been around to follow up or comment due to the magnificent growth we have in our hosting business.

Server setup and maintenance regardless of VPS or dedicated are indeed managed by us.

So the fact that one does not know how to run a VPS or dedicated server is indeed a moot point.

Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.