Choosing menus to show

After installing bp-daily theme and with any of the pre-defined styles it sohow four menus bar at the header:

- Categories menu
- Custom menu
- Buddypress menu
- Breadcrumb & Search bar

I wish to hide categories menu and maybe buddypress menu, integrating them on my custom bar, getting only two menu bars this way. How can I get it?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Okay, this is fairly easy to do...

To remove the categories menu you can just use CSS by adding the following rule;

#category-navigation {
        display: hidden;
        visibility: none;
    }

For the BuddyPress menu you'll need to edit buddypress-navigation.php in /bp-daily/library/components/buddypress

On line 16 of that file is a DIV element with a class of page-navigation. You need to either delete that entire element or comment it out.

Phil

• calidonia
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I solved buddypress-navigation menu hiding, but I think I'm doing something wrong with categories menu.

I tried copying this css rule in several files but it still appears as top/first menu, just under the header.

Files I touched:
    bp-daily/style.css
    bp-daily/_inc/css/layout.css

Refreshed browser but nothing changed.

Am I touching the correct file? Does the css rule work out with any css file or at any position within the sheet?

Sorry, I'm a newbie. :slight_smile:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I'm sorry but you should never use css display hidden/ visibility none like this. It causes undue server calls as you aren't using it but it still will be working behind. It's not something we should be recommending at all.

What you want to be doing is editing the files which you can do using child themes.

1. Copy the contents of: library/components/buddypress/buddypress-navigation.php into your child theme creating the same folder structure ie; library/ then components/ then buddypress/

2. To remove categories remove this:

<div id="category-navigation">
    		<ul class="sf-menu">
    					<?php
    					wp_list_categories('orderby=id&show_count=0&title_li=');
    					?>

</ul>
    		<div class="clear"></div>
    	</div>

3. To remove BuddyPress components remove this:

<div class="page-navigation">
    				<ul class="sf-menu">
    						<?php if ( 'activity' != bp_dtheme_page_on_front() && bp_is_active( 'activity' ) ) : ?>
    							<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_ACTIVITY_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    								<a href="<?php echo site_url() ?>/<?php echo BP_ACTIVITY_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Activity', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Activity', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?></a>
    							</li>
    						<?php endif; ?>
    						<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_MEMBERS_SLUG ) || bp_is_member() ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    							<a href="<?php echo site_url() ?>/<?php echo BP_MEMBERS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Members', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Members', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?></a>
    						</li>
    						<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'groups' ) ) : ?>
    							<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_GROUPS_SLUG ) || bp_is_group() ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    								<a href="<?php echo site_url() ?>/<?php echo BP_GROUPS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Groups', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Groups', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?></a>
    							</li>
    							<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'forums' ) && bp_is_active( 'groups' ) && ( function_exists( 'bp_forums_is_installed_correctly' ) && !(int) bp_get_option( 'bp-disable-forum-directory' ) ) && bp_forums_is_installed_correctly() ) : ?>
    								<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_FORUMS_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    									<a href="<?php echo site_url() ?>/<?php echo BP_FORUMS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Forums', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Forums', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?></a>
    								</li>
    							<?php endif; ?>
    						<?php endif; ?>
    						<?php if ( bp_is_active( 'blogs' ) && bp_core_is_multisite() ) : ?>
    							<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_BLOGS_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>
    								<a href="<?php echo site_url() ?>/<?php echo BP_BLOGS_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'Blogs', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?>"><?php _e( 'Blogs', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?></a>
    							</li>
    						<?php endif; ?>

<?php do_action( 'bp_nav_items' ); ?>
    					</ul>
    			<div class="clear"></div>
    	</div>
  • szawp
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I too would like to remove the category menu from the daily theme....

am i correct in reading this that I need to first create a child theme to do so? If so, how do I do that?
    Would be great to simply select whether or not we would like the menu to show...

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @WRBijl,

Is this still something you want to address? I took a look at your link, but it doesn't appear to be the Daily Theme.

The process should still be exactly the same as before, but if you need help with it, let us know.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.