Clarity on Cancellations Please

I’ve been having a bunch of issues with this plugin, but a lot of that is having to get my head around what this plugin can and can’t do, however one big outstanding issue I have is cancellations.

In a recent support thread I posted here I was given the impression that for a subscription using PayPal Express with recurring payments, cancelling a subscription on the website would not cancel the subscription.

I just want to make sure this is the case, because if it is, that is utter madness. If this is a limitation of a PayPal API or something, there shouldn’t even be a way for people to think they’ve cancelled and still be charged.

Can someone please clarify how this works for me? Is there a payment gateway I can use for recurring payments that allows people to cancel their subscription on the website that also cancels payments?

I do not feel comfortable setting up a site with a subscription where it is so easy for a customer to be charged unwillingly. I hope I’ve just misunderstood.

Thanks.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @secretlyfamous

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Membership and PayPal talk through IPN. So if you are cancelling the subscription on your site, it will also cancel the subscription in PayPal.

You can easily test it by using PayPal sandbox account and see it for yourself before you switch to live mode.

Here is a link to create a sandbox account : https://developer.paypal.com/

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• secretlyfamous
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I’ve been messing around with this, and whenever I click “Unsubscribe” from the Subscriptions page, I get taken to PayPal with the message: “The unsubscribe button you clicked is invalid.”

What’s going on here?

It also doesn’t take me back to the website when I’ve finished payment, it just ends up on PayPal.

This is with the PayPal Sandbox by the way.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Can you kindly give me a link to your site so that I can register on the site and see what is going on ?

Also can you give me a screenshot of the payment gatway settings in Membership plugin ?

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

You can send that to me via our contact form

1: Mark the email to my attention

Attn: PC

2: Include a link of this thread in the email

3: Include details.

4: While filling the form, select “I have a different question” from the list.

Looking forward for a response on this.

Cheers

PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there,

I have checked and see the issue.

I have replied to your email and have requested some more information so that I can look into this and get it fixed for you.

Kindly check and advise.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello there,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I checked the site closely and found that a few pages were not defined under Membership >> Options >> Pages and the redirections were not working properly.

The invalid cancellation link is still there and I doubt it might be due to using Sandbox. Is your sandbox account created as a merchant account or a buyer account ?

Would it be possible for you to test it with live paypal credentials. Just setup your subscription price to something very low and test it that way.

I have also sent a note to our lead developer @Barry for his feedback on the same.

Please advise.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The cancel button should go to the users paypal account and show the subscription and a button for them to Cancel. That then cancels the subscription on the PayPal side, which then notifies your site via IPN and marks the subscription for cancellation on your site.

Testing this on the sandbox is sometimes a pain, but if you are logged into the development environment on the sandbox you can test it by creating a subscription for your test purchaser account, then in their paypal admin area – cancel that subscription and your site should be updated (you don’t need to follow the unsubscribe button if it isn’t working on the sandbox) – this then covers subscriptions canceled via the button on your site, and subscriptions cancelled from the PayPal admin area.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.