Classifieds and Custom Press

We have tried the Classifieds plugin and with it apparently came Custom Press as we never downloaded that one separately.

Unfortunately, we found it (them) to be not very user-friendly.

We would like to uninstall them and want to know if there is anything special or different that we need to do to completely remove it from our site OR is "deactivate" all that we need to do?

We want to make sure that if we install a Classified plugin from elsewhere (one that we've used before on another site), that there will be no conflict because of any remnants from these current two plugins.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Tom Eagles

@thevillageblog

As a plugin or theme? I went theme based on my current project as my parent theme was causing me a massive headache with things like classifieds, nothing wrong with the plugins just a nightmare to integrate because of the theme's custom architecture.

appthemes.com have a great set of themes that i have used very successfully.

However i will be going back to using the classifieds plugin from here on the next project as i like it.

Although custom press alone is an amazing plugin once you get your head round it, you can basically create many things and have them on the dashboard menu.

I am using it at the moment to create teacher and classes and lessons profiles and integrating them.

• thevillageblog

@maxaud Thank you, that worked well.
    @tom.eagles As a plugin. We already use Twentty Eleven as our theme as it was supposed to work well with just about everything. We would love "to wrap our heads around" custom press as we saw its potential. We saw the potential for Classifieds too. The truth is that without some guidance such as a tutorial, newbies, such as we are here, are going to have a hard time doing that. :slight_frown:
    @Timothy When we started looking at WPMUDEV and all it's plugins, we thought that we had struck gold! We love that there is so much under one roof here. However, after spending almost two days on Classifieds alone, we became a bit frustrated. We thought, looking at the plugin pages, that it was a bit more like the example shown. As it was explained to me on another thread, you have to know CSS in order to get it to look like it did in the plugin page. I went through all the taxonomies, fields, etc. (there is A LOT there) and yes, it worked as is but we didn't like the way it looked. There were somethings we weren't even sure we should change as there is little or no reading material on the subject. Since I couldn't find enough answers in tutorials or the community, We were left with no choice but to go with a plugin that we were not only already familiar with but has great explanations of how it works and what you can do with it and how. Yes, we could go out and learn CSS but we were hoping for a more "plug and play" option as we aren't here as pros. :slight_smile:

• aecnu

Greetings thevillageblog,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and the point about sales rhetoric which includes the graphics within.

It is my opinion that everything should be shown in its out of the box state, though it would certainly be an ugly scene in many cases. No special coding, just plain old out of the box presentation.

But the problem is as I discovered many years ago, the whole industry and marketing world for just about everything is this way.

When was the last time you made a frozen pizza that looked like the picture on the box? TV Dinner? WordPress Themes? etc.

I have downloaded literally hundreds of themes over the years and not a single one looked like the picture until I spent time developing them and adding the content, links etc. So the WordPress world is also subject to this sales rhetoric as well and does require some skills in making it look like the picture.

The sales rhetoric that really gets to me are the ones that even with the skills you cannot get to the desired outcome that they pitched - a type of fraud in my opinion - but then if this is the case then almost every politician and member of every Gov on the planet would indeed rightfully be in prison for fraud! :smiley:

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.