Classifieds and custom theme

Hi,
I have the classified ads plugin installed on my website but it just not show how it should. is there a way i can simply edit the themes to allow this to look correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Derek

• nightwinter
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks for the reply and welcome masonjames! !

the theme I'm using at the moment is called videoline. i purchased this template with the hopes of creating a classified and review website but now I'm worried that I can't use the features from this website after paying a subscription.

if you/anyone could help it would be very Much appreciated!!!

I wont say where the template is from incase I break any kind of advertising rules so here is my site http://WWW.rcclassifiedads.Co.UK. as you can see, when you click classifieds the page it does not load like the rest of them plus I dont have any options for the classifieds.

again any help is appreciated with a donation for a beer if it woks :slight_smile:

regards
    Derek

• nightwinter
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

thanks for the reply and welcome masonjames! !

the theme I'm using at the moment is called videoline. i purchased this template with the hopes of creating a classified and review website but now I'm worried that I can't use the features from this website after paying a subscription.

if you/anyone could help it would be very Much appreciated!!!

I wont say where the template is from incase I break any kind of advertising rules so here is my site http://WWW.rcclassifiedads.Co.UK. as you can see, when you click classifieds the page it does not load like the rest of them plus I dont have any options for the classifieds.

again any help is appreciated with a donation for a beer if it woks :slight_smile:

regards
    Derek

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya nightwinter,

That theme isn't very compatible with the Classifieds plugin (it doesn't appear to use a typical WordPress -theme structure).

So, we'll have to make some custom modifications to make things work better. To do so we'll need to grab the page-classifieds.php file from inside the plugin directory here:
    classifieds/ui-front/general/page-classifieds.php.

Make an exact copy of this file and drop it in your theme's root directory (wp-content/themes/videoline)

Now, I'll need to see your theme's default page.php file for comparison. We'll basically merge some of the data from that file into your new page-classifieds.php and should come away with much better results.

The easiest way to show me the code for page.php is to copy it to a place like pastebin.com and then give us a link to it here.

Thanks!

• nightwinter
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yeah thats done the trick!!

Only problems i see now is i cant show images nor can i see any menu etc for users.

Is there a way i could have this template turned into a compatable template to use the plugins from this site as i feel as if i have wasted my money.

Regards
    Derek

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya nightwinter,

I'm seeing the images on the classifieds page. They appear to be working correctly.

Yeah, the customizations we've made to the page-classifieds.php file we'd also have to make modifications to page-my-classifieds.php, single-classifieds.php, author.php, and taxonomy.php

It's because of the specific custom nature of this theme that these modification are required. The plugin expects certain elements to be provided by the theme in order to create the display. This theme doesn't provide those elements. So while Classifieds works fine with any of the default themes provided with WordPress (twentyten or twentyeleven) or any of the themes from here it doesn't work with that theme completely without integration.

Unfortunately, re-coding all of those pages is outside what we can assist with here on the forums. However, if you use the page we've completed as a template. You should be able to follow the same steps with the other pages and have a seamless integration of the plugin and theme.

If you need assistance with doing this, you can always request some custom development on our job boards here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Outside of that, I'm afraid the only other solution would be to switch to a different theme.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Derek,

Sure. If you look at a copy of page-classifieds.php that is in your plugin folder - and compare it to the new one in your theme's root folder you should be able to see the differences easily. Basically, you're pulling the first 30 lines or so and the last 10 from the normal page.php and replacing the beginning and ending of the classified's plugin files with these lines.

You should be able to copy/paste the exact same lines overtop of the lines that were removed in page-classifieds.php and get the job done.

Just keep backups of everything and you should be fine.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

will i also need to put a copy of the php file in the themes root?

Yes, you'll need to follow the same process we did above with the other pages I mentioned. Namely page-my-classifieds.php, single-classifieds.php, author.php, and taxonomy.php.

IM new to the PHP scripting is it possible you could gibe me the code as i cant seem to see where the custom code ends..?

A file comparison tool will really come in handy here. On the mac, a great app is Kaleidoscope. On Windows there's an open-source tool called winmerge:
    http://winmerge.org/

Basically, open both files in one of these apps and you'll easily be able to see the differences. It may require a little trial and error, but should be pretty easy once you see exactly where the code goes.

By way of example for page-classifieds.php:
    Lines 1-10 are from the plugin's page-classifieds.php
    Lines 11-31 are from the theme's page.php
    Lines 32-107 are from the plugin's page-classifieds.php
    Lines 108-119 are from the theme's page.php

It will be an extremely similar pattern for the rest of the files.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Unfortunately, we are at about the limit of my ability to assist you here. As I mentioned earlier, you can use our job boards to see about getting a member to assist you here or you can try a service like freelancer.com.

Everything you need to get the job done is above though, and if all else fails you really may want to look at a different theme.

• nightwinter
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks, i think i have managed it. i have it inside the template but im obviously doing something wrong as i can see the pictures etc do you have any idea what im doing wrong? http://rcclassifiedads.co.uk/?classifieds=composite-arf-extra-3mtr
    i have placed an ad in the job section but im not getting any replys.

Ive also had a look through the themes this website supplies but im not to keen on any of them. do you know of any other websites that supply wordpress themes that keep the origional structure of wordpress that i can use all the plugins with from this website?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,
    I have no clue where that image or text is being pulled in. But again, I'm basically blind to the PHP code being used to pull in data on that template.

Picking a standards compliant theme is really difficult. Anything on wordpress.org will do the trick. Anything here. You may also try devpress or press75 as they tend to be very compliant as well.

I enjoy the work of many theme companies including studiopress, headway, and woothemes, but they all use their own framework which creates an additional layer of complexity when it comes to integrating advanced plugins unfortunately.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.