classifieds are not working on my site

hi there,

I have just installed classifieds and trying to get it set up - but I cannot get this to work for me :slight_frown: an ad can be created, but cannot be assigned to categories. the display of ad looks a bit funny. when clicking on the ad link I get errors. I can not see the test ad in admin. how can more photos be added?? please help :slight_frown: thank you kindly

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jaci,

Hope you are doing well today and I'm more than happy to help you out with this :slight_smile:

I just logged into your site and re-saved your permalinks. Your classifieds show up now and you should be able to add them to a category via the edit classified screen. There will be a category widget on the right side of the post editor - try that!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you still need further assistance here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• jaci

hi tyler, thank you for getting back to me. I am still not able to select categories as a member trying to place an ad??? the categories show up but they are selectable? there is still a few more things that are not working correctly:

0. the display of the ads in "my classifieds" still look a bit funny - it's not lined up correctly and doesn't look right? how can I fix this please?

1. I can see that I can add custom fields but am way to scared to do anything with code in case I stuff something up - I would really like to add more image fields to ALL classifieds - say another 4 image fields allowing members to add any or none of those extra images. how do I do this please?

2. over an above categories - I really need to have a line somewhere where the member can add the location of the item - as in city and state. how can I do this please?

3. the enquiry message doesn't show the correct names in the message - how do I fix this please: example below:

CaravanCamping.Club <members@caravancamping.club>

Hi , you have received a message from

Name: admin
    Email: members@caravancamping.club
    Subject: testing enquiry
    testing enquiry message

Classifieds link: http://members.caravancamping.club/classified/off-road-kedron-caravan-test-ad-only/

4. how do I get the 'counter' to work in the members profile (buddypress) where "classifieds" are added please?

5. is there any way of been able to search, or filter the ads on the "classifieds" page by means of category and location?

thank you so much again for your help :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @jaci,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your questions! :slight_smile:

1) Currently you can't add additional image fields using CustomPress, but as the add new classifieds for you and your users uses the standard WordPress editor, they can add a additional image, using the add new media button.

2), You could go to CustomPress > content types > custom fields > add new, you could add two custom fields, you could add say custom fields say "City" and "State", then your users could add where they are. :slight_smile:

3) In WordPress Admin > classifieds > settings, make sure the field content is

Hi TO_NAME, you have received a message from

Name: FROM_NAME
      Email: FROM_EMAIL
      Subject: FROM_SUBJECT
      FROM_MESSAGE

4) Could you clarify which counter that is please? Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot pleasE?

5) You can use this plugin to filter custom taxonomies. https://wordpress.org/plugins/query-multiple-taxonomies/ :slight_smile:

I am still not able to select categories as a member trying to place an ad??? the categories show up but they are selectable? there is still a few more things that are not working correctly:

0. the display of the ads in "my classifieds" still look a bit funny - it's not lined up correctly and doesn't look right? how can I fix this please?

Could you grant me support access please via the WPMU DEV dashboard > support > support access and click "Grant Access".

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• jaci

hi jack,

thanks for getting back to me. support has been granted.

thanks for tips on how to add custom fields.

categories are still not working - please try this yourself to see what I mean. they work at the front end if I am logged in as admin - but they are greyed out if I am a user. categories can not be selected. how do I fix this please.

when category tags are entered they appear in the categories field when ad is displayed. I don't want this to happen. actually I want to rename 'category tags' to keywords and have these keyword display underneath the categories when viewing ad.

with adding extra images - users do not have access to add images using the editor - only admin has this feature when I'm logged in as admin and adding a new ad.???

I indicated on image about the coutner for classified in user profile.

I hope all this makes sense.

thanks again

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jaci,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Have you set the correct capabilities for users via Classifieds > Settings > Capabilities?

Be sure to choose the correct user role from the dropdown, I attached a screenshot to illustrate.

with adding extra images - users do not have access to add images using the editor - only admin has this feature when I'm logged in as admin and adding a new ad.???

This should be resolved once you give them the capability via the above method :slight_smile:

when category tags are entered they appear in the categories field when ad is displayed. I don't want this to happen. actually I want to rename 'category tags' to keywords and have these keyword display underneath the categories when viewing ad.

Whatever you add in the category tags is being displayed in the category area along with the selected categories?

You can change the text for the category tags via custompress > Content Types > Taxonomies > Classified_tags - there is a labels section in there you can edit :slight_smile:

Adding it to the grid may take some custom code in the template - we'll get to that once we get the rest sorted.

Hope this helps Jaci!

Look forward to your reply.

Cheers,
      Tyler

• jaci

hi tyler, thank you for getting back to me. ok so I realise I missed the capabilities - my apologies. I now set those capabilities for users. I also changed category_tags label to 'keywords' and set all of that up. still a couple of question on that though please:

1. where is the message that I entered to separate keywords with commas - I can't see that anywhere on new ad form - bur really need it to be displayed so user knows.
    2. in the box where I can now add keywords - still has the words "add a tag" how do I change that to "add keywords here separated by commas"

some other things:
    3. is there anyway of being able to display images in it own separate area or box outside of the description box please?

4. how can I add the $ symbol into the price field so users just enter the price and all prices will then have the $symbol in front of them when displayed?

looking forward to getting the grid sorted next - finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with this so thank you so much again for your help :grinning:

• jaci

hi again tyler,

i've installed the Search and Filter plugin to enable searching classifieds. they have a shortcode: [searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"] and <?php echo do_shortcode('[searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"]'); ?>. the latter one i believe i need to put in theme files. how can i get this feature to display on the "classifieds" page? where do i paste this code please? thank you so much :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jaci,

Hope you're doing well today!

Thanks for your patience here :slight_smile:

1. where is the message that I entered to separate keywords with commas - I can't see that anywhere on new ad form - bur really need it to be displayed so user knows.
    2. in the box where I can now add keywords - still has the words "add a tag" how do I change that to "add keywords here separated by commas"

You can change all the "tags" to "keywords" in the CustomPress > Content Types > Taxonomies > Classified_tags taxonomy. There will be a "labels" section where can change a lot of the titles. You will want to change the Name field to "Classified Keywords" and the "Add or Remove Items" field to "Add Keywords separated by commas".

As for the "Add a tag" pre-filled text - this one is a bit trickier because there isn't a built in label for it - you can either go into the template and change it OR you can use our Ultimate Branding plugin, activate Network Wide Text Change, then change that text to "Add keywords" (screenshot attached). I recommend doing it this way because then it will be update proof in the sense that future classifieds updates won't overwrite your changes. If you changed it in the template then they would.

3. is there anyway of being able to display images in it own separate area or box outside of the description box please?

This wouldn't be easily done because CustomPress doesn't support extra image fields for classifieds out of the box - so for now uploading images into the description is the best way :slight_smile:

4. how can I add the $ symbol into the price field so users just enter the price and all prices will then have the $symbol in front of them when displayed?

Easiest way to do this is to make the field name something like "Cost ($)" then you can just do it easily from the labels section.

Hope this helps Jaci :slight_smile:

Let us know if you still need any further assistance here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• jaci

hi again tyler, thanks for you response.

i've installed the Search and Filter plugin to enable searching classifieds. they have a shortcode: [searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"] and <?php echo do_shortcode('[searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"]'); ?>. the latter one i believe i need to put in theme files. how can i get this feature to display on the "classifieds" page? where do i paste this code please? thank you so much :slight_smile:

Also i still need help with the grid - getting it all to look the way it should - could you please help with this. thanks jaci

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @jaci

To display it on that place just add the following code

<?php echo do_shortcode('[searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"]'); ?>

In between the entry-header and entry-content as following

<header class="entry-header">
      	<h1 class="entry-title"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>
      </header>
      <?php
      	if( basename($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) == 'classifieds' ){
      		echo do_shortcode('[searchandfilter fields="search,category,post_tag"]');
      	}
       ?>
      <div class="entry-content">

In the page.php or content-page.php template files in your child theme.

Best Regards,
      Vinod Dalvi

• jaci

Thank you so much Vinod - i will do this now. Also, could you please please help me with getting the grid to display properly. Where do you go to edit this. I really need the keywords OUT of the category section when viewed on the main classifieds page.

This is ideally what i would like to be displayed on the main classifieds page (each of these things to be on its own line):
    1. Title
    2. Price
    3. Posted by
    4. Categories
    5. Location (state or territory)
    6. Expires
    7. Excerpt

All of this to still be next to the featured image as it currently is.

I will really need the exact code to use please - as i am not very good with code.

Thank you so much
    regards
    Jaci

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jaci,

To achieve this first of all create the location custom field for classifieds from the following path

Admin Area -> CustomPress-> Content Types-> Custom Fields -> Add Custom Field

Configure it as following :-

Field Title : Location
      Post Type : Classifieds
      Field Type : Text Box

After creating this it will display Location custom field text box for the Classifieds post types in the Classifieds edit screen as displayed in the attached screenshot where you can enter location for the classified.

Then download and extract the attached loop-taxonomy.php file and edit it on line number 67 using any text editor. Replace the custompress shortcode id in the code displayed on that line with the location custom field id which you have created recently displayed on the following path as displayed in the attached screenshot.

Admin Area -> CustomPress-> Content Types-> Custom Fields

Code to be changed:
      $location = do_shortcode('[ct id="_ct_text_53d060be2705f"]');

Now add the edited loop-taxonomy.php file in the root folder of your child theme and you have done.

If it doesn't work for you in your theme then try adding and replacing it in the Classifieds plugin on the following path.

classifieds\ui-front\general\loop-taxonomy.php

Best Regards,
      Vinod Dalvi

• jaci

Hi Vinod, thank you for your excellent support so far. i am working on this loop file now. THis is how I really want the ad to appear:

This is ideally what i would like to be displayed on the main classifieds page (each of these things to be on its own line):
    1. Title
    2. Price
    3. Posted by
    4. Categories
    6. Expires
    7. Excerpt

2. how do i get the price to be on it's own line
    4. how do i remove the keywords out of hwere the categories are displayes
    5. can a select be used for this - i already have a select box set up with state and territories and what ever the user picks - that's what i want displayed

what code do i use/change in the loop file for this please thanks

• Jack Kitterhing

Hiya @jaci,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

You can use a custom search plugin for this, there's a great one here https://searchwp.com/ which allows you to restrict it to a certain post type, though it's a premium plugin.

If you'd like to use a free plugin, both https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-custom-post-search/
    and
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/relevanssi/

Should do what you need here, to restrict it to classifieds only. :slight_smile:

Any issues of course, we're here to help.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack

• jaci

hi jack - thanks for your reply. i still need the below issue resolved please please please:

THis is how I really want the ad to appear:

1. Title
    2. Price
    3. Posted by
    4. Categories
    6. Expires
    7. Excerpt

5. can a select be used for this - i already have a select box set up with state and territories and what ever the user picks - that's what i want displayed

what code do i use/change in the loop file for this please thanks

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @jaci,

THis is how I really want the ad to appear:

1. Title
    2. Price
    3. Posted by
    4. Categories
    6. Expires
    7. Excerpt

To achieve this have you tried the solution posted by me previously in the following reply?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/classifieds-are-not-working-on-my-site#post-709577

Could you please tell me what's the result are you getting( Share screenshot or page link of it )?

Do you want to remove specific keywords( Categories ) from the categories list?

Yes you can use the select( Dropdown list box ) here but i want to know why do you want to use select here as there isn't any form here?

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• jaci

hi there vinod, yes I added that code into the loop file - but replaced the code with the select box that I had already entered in as custom. it didn't work so I removed it. do you still have my ftp details? I really do not know anything about this php stuff - but just need the listing to look like the above. are you able to have a look at it please.

with #4 - I only want categories and sub-categories to show here. i really need this issue fixed asap - it has taken so long already.

please can you help me with this?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jaci,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your patience here :slight_smile:

What exactly happened when you tried Vinod's solution above? Blank page, errors? That will help us figure out what needs to be changed.

Do you want to remove specific keywords( Categories ) from the categories list?

Keywords are what you're calling the tags box right? I don't see in your preferred layout where you want the keywords to be? Do you just want to get rid of them all together?

Look forward to your reply Dakota :slight_smile:

Cheers,
      Tyler

• jaci

hi tyler,

I really think that it's best if you could please try this via ftp and see for yourself. remember I am no code guru - actually I know nothing about php.

vinod wanted me to create a text field for location - I already have a location field but have a selectbox and this is what I want to appear - well not the box - but the value that the user selects. this did not work in the loop file - but then again I may have done something wrong. yes, that's right, I don't want keywords (tags) to display at all - just the things that I added to that list and in htat order.

1. Title
    2. Price [on a separate line and not where it is now on the same line as title]
    3. Posted by
    4. Categories [the categories and sub-catogories to show here ie. caravans >> off road caravans
    5. Location (state or territory) [value that user selected from the select box]
    6. Expires
    7. Excerpt

I thought this would've been relatively straight forward??

do you still have ftp and wp admin details?

• jaci

hi vinod,

I am really not trying to take your support for granted and I understand that your support is limited - but for the "categories" section especially - I can't be the only one who has ever wanted this changed? the keywords - or tags - that users enter gets thrown in with the categories that has been created to maintain order in classifieds. I have attached a screenshot of this.

• jaci

I have added the select box code to loop file as above - but this does not appear to be the right place. anyway - it doesnt' do anything. see screenshot.

this seems to be the exact area I need editing:

classifieds\ui-front\general\loop-taxonomy.php

this is hwere the location code should go - it needs to be added to the table and the shortcode go in there from my understanding however I am not sure about the other code to enter in there to make it happen. this is the file that will fix the classifieds display - put price on it's own line, remove the keywords/tags and add the location. can support help with this?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jaci,

It should work the same way as you have expected by making the changes i have suggested.

I found your provided FTP access but i also need access of your admin area.

Can you please just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it so that i can check it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

Regards,
      Vinod Dalvi

• jaci

hi vinod,

yes that works beautifully thank you so much. i only have one more problem now - the developer from searchwp created a customization to make search results appear on a specific search page - the customizations that he did is now not displaying on site - how can i fix this final thing please. under buddyboss-child there is the files page-classifieds2 and loop-taxonomy2. which of the files do i change now to make your adjustements show on classifieds page - but searchwp's customizations on the search page. i don't want to change anything that you did - but somehow the 2 files will need to be married up so that the search results appear as they did - which is like the table format on classifieds page - if you know what i mean (with image, and then title, price etc in table format)?

thank you

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Jaci,

As i have mentioned in my previous reply that i have uploaded the classifieds folder containing loop-taxonomy.php and page-classifieds.php template files in your buddyboss-child theme to make it work and the files page-classifieds2 and loop-taxonomy2 in the theme folder are not in use now.

I checked the customization the developer from searchwp made in the old page-classifieds2 and loop-taxonomy2 files and merged it in to the loop-taxonomy.php and page-classifieds.php template files added in the classifieds folder which i have also attached to this reply.

Please check it.

Cheers,
      Vinod Dalvi

• jaci

hi vinod, i just realised that the categories are STILL NOT RIGHT. there are still keywords contained in the category field. there should only be categories and sub-categories in this field - and this field must be displayed in the listings on the main classifieds page - which they are not.

i need to get this fixed today. this has been dragging on for so long and is delaying the launch of my site. please can you help me to get this sorted.

please

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.