Classifieds Disappears from the dashbord

Hi there,

I am having issues with Classifieds. Once Directory plugin is activated Classified plugin would disappear from the dashboard menu. I have disabled all plugings, reinstalled both the plugins, and wordpress a couple of times and have also tried installing the plugins in different orders with same result.

I am working on a BP multisite.

UC

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi UC

Oh boy, I've had that happen to me just the other day :slight_smile:

Go to your FTP client and rename your wp-content/plugins folder to plugins-old. Then create a new folder, calling it plugins.

Now copy all of your plugins that's in the old plugins folder to the new plugins folder. Make sure that neither Directory or Classifieds are among those. Now do a fresh install of the Classiefieds Plugin.

See if this will resolce it for you.

Let me know if you succeeded :slight_smile:

Gina

• uc
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Gina,

I have done a fresh install with only MU, BP , classified, and directory enabled and is not working.

See what is happening. If you install classified without checking Enable sub-site content types. in CustomPress setting in the Network Admin, but with enabling the em> Enable sub-site content types. Directory does not work.

If that is enabled you will be able to the create categories in Listings but Classified would disappear from the dashboard menu.

Let me add here that in a single site it is ok

UC

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi UC

My apologies, I didn't realize that you wanted both the Classifieds and Directory working together.

Please read the Usage pages for both. It is mentioned on the Classifieds Usage page under the section 'Please note' that the two can't work together at the moment. The plugins are using the same function and hence, clashes with each other. The Developer is working on a solution for this so this should be fixed in the next release.

Again, sorry for not mentioning this before. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Have a good day!

Gina

• uc

Hi Gina

Thanks for the update but there was no ambuiguity on the here:

Once Directory plugin is activated Classified plugin would disappear from the dashboard menu. I have disabled all plugings, reinstalled both the plugins, and wordpress a couple of times and have also tried installing the plugins in different orders with same result.

Meanwhile I read the usage several times and this what it says:
    The “how to use” information is still be created for the latest version of Classified “v2.0.0? release.
    and if you follow that link to the referred forum the developer then wrote

== Frequently Asked Questions ==

= Can Classifieds run side by side with CustomPress / Directory ? =

If you have CustomPress or Directory activated you will receive a fatal error since, there is a function with the same name in the packages. Deactivate CustomPress or Directory and everything will be fine. This will be fixed for the next version release.

I presume this is what you you are referring to, but this was a year ago and we have had major releases.( right now ver 2.2.2.2) same with Directory. Please re-confirm does this still hold?.

UC

• uc

Hi Gina,

Further to

Please note' that the two can't work together at the moment.

As I mentioned before

Let me add here that in a single site it is ok

They do work together in single site. I tested with single site and have been to make entries both in Directory and Classifieds. Multisite may be an exception which more clarification is needed because the information in the documentation is either outdated or inaccurate.

Here again is what is happening with multisite

See what is happening. If you install classified without checking Enable sub-site content types. in CustomPress setting in the Network Admin, but with enabling the em> Enable sub-site content types. Directory does not work.

If that is enabled you will be able to the create categories in Listings but Classified would disappear from the dashboard menu.

Cheers
    UC

• uc

I know you guys are busy and I appreciate your hard work but I should expect a simple response/feedback from the observations I made based on your last post. It is not necessary that your reply would solve the problem instantly, but to show that, at least, that members of this forum are encouraged to bring up issues which is affecting the functionality of a product.

I don't want to sound this way but it's kind of discouraging when one builds a product around some functionality, hyped about the elegance of such functionality based on the your promo and he gets stuck in the middle, with deadline to meet as well.

Like I said the information highlighted on the USAGE is a year old This excerpt from the usage page

The “how to use” information is still be created for the latest version of Classified “v2.0.0? release.

Please refer to this Classified forum post while it is being completed.

The current information usage below applies to “v1.1.1? release of the plugin.

and forum post referred is this https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/classifieds-v200

There has been major updates/overhaul of Classified and Directory since then. Infact there was an update on both yesterday. Since it was noticed that Classified and Directory don't mix :slight_smile: to some extent, for such a long time one should expect that it should have been addressed with all these overhauls.

Cheers

UC

Hey guys, if this is the first post you are reading don't get discouraged WPMUDEV has qaulity products and good support all we want is for the excellent services to continue unabated.

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Your menu problem is probably due to having the same menu position number in the post type definition for both classifieds and directory_listing in CustomPress. Make the two numbers different and note they may be colliding with some other menu from another plugin. Effectively one menu writes over the matching number.

• uc

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your response. I must say I am not pleased the way this issue has been handled. Ignoring a customer for close to two weeks no matter how trivial WPMUDEV might think an issue is discouraging.

Back to your suggestion

I have done as you instructed (see the attached) The position of Listings did change but Classified still did not appear. Also I did a fresh install with only the two plugins activated and changed the menu position for Listings still same result.

Thanks

UC

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Hi uc,

Not ignoring you, I never got flagged on it and just stumbled across if yesterday.

I note your on Multisite which is currently a problem.What appears to be happening is the classifieds post type is getting created at the Network level and the directory listing tpye is being created at the blog level. Network level posttypes don't display at the blog level because it's assumed that the SuperAdmins would be the only ones editing them. It's not what it should do and I'll look into it.

I'd check your site but it looks like your on a local install.

I'd have to say at this point that on Multisite it's not going to work for you combining Directory and CustomPress. To track what has been purchased by assigning roles and capabilities like Classifieds Paid and Classifieds unpaid, same for Directory. You can't assign two roles to the same user so you can't give rights for the two different memberships. One will overwrite the other.

This is one of the things I'm working on but it's not there yet.

• uc

Hi Arnold,

I understand it was not your fault. It issue was in a qeue but it was attended properly to know whether it needed escalated to the developer for my more insight.

I am glad you have just done that. I have moved site to the web bust still in maintenance mode. I will create account for you to look at it where do i send it

uc

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Okay uc!

I've gotten the official word after asking around a bit.

Seems that since these two plugins are so similar and use many of the same sorts of custom post stuff that they do not play well together.

Since they are different end-use plugins most who have installed one have not needed the other, so there haven't been many problems reported.

I am very sorry we have taken so long to wrap this one up.

I also would like to thank you for you amazing patience and for bringing this issue to light. The developer is now working on a recode of both to allow them to play nicely with each other.

If you would like to wait for the updates you are welcome to close this ticket, as we've come to the unfortunate conclusion that there are issues that are caused by a conflict that is not immediately serviceable although the developer is working on a fix as we speak :slight_smile:

Best!

Kimberly

• uc

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for your help. I have sent the the login info to @arnold as requested. However if it will be too much a distraction for him then I would rather look for alternative elsewhere. The problem is these are the features my client wanted

UC

• uc

Thanks Arnold and @Kimberly for your help.
    So It can be safely taken now that the two (Directory and Classifieds) work together in multi- site install is that right?. If that is the case I suggest this should be added to usage.

Secondly it could be a good idea to have the status default to "pending review" both in directory and classifieds instead of having the "published" option in front UI that way Administrators can review them before publishing

uc

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

@uc,

No it still wouldn't be safe to use them together on multisite. For example directory makes two member roles to control directory capabilities and Classiifeds makes another to control Classifieds capabilities. Since you can't assign one user two roles there's a problem. That's part of what I'm working on.

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi UC
    Did you try using the Directory plugin as the classifieds? You just have to change a little wording. Although the classifieds i pointed out to you is simple to use; it is always best to try and keep all your plugins from one company. This will help avoid conflicts in the future. So do try the Directory plugin as both the business directory and the classifieds before using the other plugin. Then explain to your client that it is easier for them to learn and manage their website using the directory plugin for both. It will not be noticeable on the front end once you customize the labeling. Thanks UC!

• uc

Hi MTB1701,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have not tried that yet. Though Directory will not give you the option for how long the ad is going to run. I really like sticking with one company for things like this that's why I have been waiting for over a month now.

UC

• Mark Wallace
    • Learn-ing-er

Hi UC
    The directory details say

***Bill your customers every Day/Month/Year on a recurring cycle, or give them a one time up-front payment option. All handled automatically!***
    So be sure to read it a little more.

I've been following your thread for the past month while deciding if I am going to use the directory plugin as my classifieds section. I am using AWPCP on a website as a church directory, but I have a website that will have a Classifieds and Yellow pages section. I am going to try the WPMU Dev directory plugin the way I have explained it to you. So let me know how it works out and we can share notes. Thanks UC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.