Classifieds Plugin not fitting into my theme well

I did comment on one thread that I noticed the page and sidebar styling are not as cool as the screenshots that attracted me to the plugin. (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/styling-the-classifieds-page-and-sidebar#post-170547)

It’s not fitting into my theme well, but I’m optimistic with your support, it will.

How do I call my theme’s sidebar to the plugin’s pages? How can I list latest classifieds on the sidebar? When I click on the categories I have created, I see this: (Classifieds / classifieds_categories / job-available). How can I fix it? How can I display categories on the sidebar?

Support’s appreciated. Thanks!

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

xiao,

Hi and Welcome to WPMU forums :slight_smile:

I’d love to help you do what I can! I’m not very adept at styling but I’ll see what I can do to help :slight_smile:

First off for your widgets, you can use our Custom Post Widget to create a great looking widget area. It gives you great flexibility in displaying post types.

Second, I’d love to see an example of the items you want to see changed in your theme. You can help things alot by adjusting some css as well. You can use a nifty tool like Firebug for Firefox to find out how your theme is styling certain areas of your page and adjust them directly in the css file :slight_smile:

Unfortunately there is no “fix it all” magic button, you’ll have to address each issue, but I’ll do whatever I can and call in someone else to help if need be as well.

Best,

Kimberly

• xiao
    • New Recruit

Thanks Kim!

I’m not able to download Custom Post Widget… it looks like it’s tough for those on a budget here. :slight_smile:

I’m also not sure if you addressed why this displays on top of a page when I click on a category I just created: (Classifieds / classifieds_categories / job-available). This is the case for a category called Job Available. What are other alternatives to create a widget area for the sidebar of Classifieds page?

Again, thanks.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Sorry I guess I talked right over this, I have a tendency to get carried away at times :slight_smile:

When I click on the categories I have created, I see this: (Classifieds / classifieds_categories / job-available).How can I fix it? How can I display categories on the sidebar?

Where are you clicking on this? You can check the Dashboard>Appearance>widgets and there is a Default Category widget that ships with wordpress.

How do I call my theme's sidebar to the plugin's pages?

You should check your page template when create a page, I'll attach a page for reference. Normally this is where you can choose what page template your theme uses to publish (i.e. sidebar, no sidebar, full width, etc.) These will vary by theme so don't look for my exact types in the pic.

Does this help?

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that because we haven’t heard back from you that you’ve got your issue worked out! If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don’t miss it!

Thanks for using the WPMU forums!

Best,

Kimberly

• xiao
    • New Recruit

No, my issue is not yet worked out. I was away for a while. I checked the image you attached and tried to make the sidebar work, but it didn't. It seems I need to create a sidebar widget area for classifieds pages…. If so, which template should I create the widget area in? Whatever, I need to do, I guess you will have better advice when you see the attached image…. It shows a empty sidebar and the categories issue after a click on "Apartments for Rent" which is the category in the example.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings xiao,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• xiao
    • New Recruit

This issue has not been resolved… The plugin has turned to be a headache for a novice like me. I will keep trying but will drop it if I find an alternative. I still welcome further suggestions…

Anyways, thanks KimberlyL & aecnu.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.