Classifieds vs DIrectory Plugin

I know these are different, but just trying to find some ideas how I can implement both into my community without overlapping ideas.

How are they different?

I know one is classifieds, advertising, and the other more of a directory listing, but they seem quite similar.

Trying to see how I can best match both into my buddypress community.

Any ideas?

• Mason

Hiya George,

You're right there's definitely some overlap between these two plugins and they could be used in similar ways.

By design, the Classifieds plugin is meant to add a listing of items for sale in a more simple way as part of a community or network site. Folks pay to list (and hopefully sell) an item.

Directory really is meant to be the focal point of a site. It's more of a 'yellow book' site - like a directory of businesses in a specific area. Folks here are paying to list a service. They're going to pay for the time it's listed. The key here is to have some good SEO on the site so that their is a benefit to folks to be listed here. If your site has a high profile for their target market, being listed will make sense.

Both plugins have the same idea, that through the site listing you're putting your product or service in front of people who are interested.

Of course, there's tons of other ways to use these, but I figured this would be a good start in explanation. Anybody else want to chime in and tell us how you are using (or planning to use) the Classifieds or Directory plugins?

Thanks!

• georgef

@masonjames Thanks mate!

You're always on top of the creative ideas here.

Our site is slowly but surely becoming a high profile site in our niche, and just reading this I realize that the directory might be useful as a site directory more than a members directory.

So keeping the classifieds for the community and using the directory as a source to find various items across the site, which could be excellent for SEO as well.

Might even link back to popular tags throughout the site as well as products through Marketpress.

hmm, got me thinking!

Thanks!

• fitoussi

how about combining them? is it a good idea? i am now working on a website that will serve a certain community. i want to have people listing their business for free just like yellow pages but i want also to have a section where people can post things for sell and probably going to pay for that service. should i use both together or can i modify directory plugin to charge for only listing that are "for sell"?

• Mason

Hiya,

You could modify the directory plugin to offer paid-for and free ads. It's not something we're including (yet) but it's definitely possible. I'd recommend that over using Directory and Classifieds together. Each plugin relies on user roles which, at the moment, is something of a weak spot for WordPress.

You could also use CustomPress and create 2 different post types. One could be free and one could only be accessed through Payment via our Membership plugin.

Hope this helps!

• fitoussi

thank you James,
    my idea is that i want to have in my directory site also a coupons page where people who are listing their business will be able to also to create coupons for discount at their places. i though it would be easier to do with classifieds, but maybe not. maybe like you said i can create a different post type for that. i also want it to able to be printed only by members that are logged in and maybe to be limited number on coupons can be printed . mmmm...... too much? how about you guys create a CouponPress plugin ?

• Mason

my idea is that i want to have in my directory site also a coupons page where people who are listing their business will be able to also to create coupons for discount at their places.

Gotcha. That does make sense.

i also want it to able to be printed only by members that are logged in and maybe to be limited number on coupons can be printed . mmmm...... too much? how about you guys create a CouponPress plugin ?

Yeah, this can be tricky - for sure. You can limit a coupon to logged in users and to number of times something can be downloaded - but then, how do you limit them from printing out multiple copies? Not something that can be easily addressed. You basically need a unique code attached to each download that will expire after it's use. This would require your vendors (who validate the coupon) to enter in teh unique code and thus remove it from the database of valid codes.

For now, we'll continue with some upgrades of the Classifieds plugin to make it more easily compatible with other systems and providing other nifty enhancements along the way.

Thanks!

• fitoussi

yeah, i knew it not going to be easy. So now i am trying to work with Custompress and Directory together.
    i created a new custom post type called "Coupon". i did everything as says in the instructions page but i can't find the template file being created ( which i am not sure if he is being created). i created a test post under coupons but when i am trying to display it i get an error "Call to undefined function dp_posted_on() in /homepages/blah/blah/blah/loop-single.php. i am using the directory plugin's theme and i guess that causes the error. what should i do?

i also need a suggestion here as i have been trying for few days to figure out what will be the best way to do it.
    1) I want my site to have a directory section for business with free listing.
    2) i want a coupons page/section so same business will be able to offer discounts at their places.(i want this section to be same idea as directory where people can search for discounts by categories or places).
    3) classifieds section where people (hopefully if my idea will work) will pay to list things for sell.

i was thinking maybe to create 3 sites http://www.directory.mysite.com, http://www.coupons.mysite.com and www. classifieds.mysite.com and on each one of theme i will have the necessary plugins. and then connect the 3 of them with "WordPress User Syncronization" plugin.

sorry for the long message but i really want to make sure i going the right way from the beginning.

thank you for any suggestion