Cleaning up MySQL database removing lots of sites

I recently replied to an issue about site load time from another member. After doing some research I realized that my site load time might be an issue with a bloated MySQL.

A few months ago thousands of splogs (spam blogs) were created on my site. Using myphpadmin I can only drop one table at a time. If I try to drop more than one table I get an error:
"Error in Processing Request
Error code: 500
Error text: Internal Server Error."

This is a fresh instal (well from a backup sql file), of MySQL on a new server. I was wondering if there is any better way to clean out my database of the spam blogs than dropping one table at a time. It could take me many many hours at this rate. I have about 600 fake blogs at the moment (I do have a list of blog ID's to keep so I know what tables to avoid).

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Carlen,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "Internal 500 error" is a bit undefined by nature, meaning that it usually doesn't carry any specific information on what has happened. Often though it's caused by either lack of available memory or not enough time granted to PHP to execute scripts.

Therefore, I think these are two things that you may want to try first:

Search your server's control panel for PHP settings; in CPanel and DirectAdmin it's sometimes possible to change PHP config without needing to contact hosting support team;

If it's possible then, search for

a) max_execution_time variable and increase it's value to 360 or even more
    b) memory_limit variable and set it to e.g. 1024M

If your server's control panel doesn't allow such settings, try placing php.ini file in your site's root folder; the file should include these lines:

max_execution_time = 360
    memory_limit = 1024M

If this still doesn't help, you may want to contact your hosting tech support to ask them for help in setting this.

Let me know please if it helped!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.