Cleint/trainer booking system for fitness multisite

Can anyone suggest a suitable plugin so that members can see the availability of particular trainers (these can be user levels of course) can be seen and a booking made on a multisite installation? The trainers will enter their availability (and the facility of course) and clients will be able to see this and book a session, taking any payment depending on the client membership level.

I have looked at the many calendar and booking plugins on the main WP system but either they don't integrate with multisite or they are basically subscription services for hotels etc which is much more than I need (and more expensive too!).

Any clues deeply appreciated!

• DavidM

Hi Loggy,

The closest thing I could think of for that would have to be MarketPress, given it's incredible Multisite support. It's not built for events, though with some custom work it may be a viable means to that end. And the main site could display global listings very easily.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-commerce

There's also been mention around here (by insightful community members like Timothy) of using Classifieds for events/booking. It would take some custom work as well to get it catered to events but because of the way it works, it may present another viable option.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/classifieds

And I'm not sure of its multisite capabilities, but Event Espresso looks like a nice event solution as well.
    http://wpplugins.com/plugin/179/event-espresso/

Admittedly, I haven't taken a look at alternatives outside of these, but hopefully others around here might have some ideas this topic.

• Loggy

Thanks David. I didn't think about MarketPress, which is already installed anyway, but I can't at the moment see how it could be integrated with a calendar. I don't think the others can cater for half-hourly or whatever sessions either nor are they multisite. I tried installing them as they are to see.

For example a trainer needs to put in times when they are available and if a client wants a session (which may either be already paid for if the client is subscribed or will need paying if the client has a lower level of subscription or none at all) they can book it online. Then the gym needs to see when the facility is used, by which trainer/client and whether a payment has been made.

It is really a booking system but all the systems that I have found so far are for events or hotels and are not appropriate as far as I can see. They generally access an external resource at a monthly fee which is not economic for the gym whereas with WP there is a database and membership, trainers and facilities already built into the taxonomy. It is really some sort of personal organiser I suppose.

• bizpod

We have a very similar need for booking classes with teachers. I had also thought of using Marketpress (mainly for the chained payments feature to collect commissions and multi site features) and Google Calendar via the Stout plugin for bookings. But obviously the calendar and Marketpress won't be connected or synched. For the admin side you'd also need something to track inventory (ie. how many sessions bought/how many used so far).

@Loggy
    Would be interested to co-fund customization of a starter plugin such as Marketpress/Espresso or developing something from scratch.

@Mason
    WPMU Dev should consider a feature in the Developers/Projects section to allow co-funding of projects. I've seen quite a few projects that overlap with our needs and some of the required functionality could cost $1,000's to develop. I'm sure this is the same for many of your members and it would be a great way to spread costs. From a developers standpoint, this would likely increase the chances of the jobs actually coming through and getting paid.

Maybe you could create a new section under Custom Projects for customers looking to co-fund larger projects? You could have a standard criteria for positing: Scope, estimated costs, initial funding provided by the original poster and increments ($100, $500 etc.) that others can apply to fund.

• Loggy

@bizpod - sorry not to get back to you earlier but I have been messing with this for a bit now. In fact the multisite idea has gone out of the window and everything is back on one site (there was a big theme problem).

I think the issue is better solved within the Membership plugin so that members at different levels can have different costs - even free.

I still haven't found a good solution - Allbooking seemed to be promising but I can't get it to do what I want and although the author is quite responsive and it is only $15, I fear it is not really suitable.

Yes in principle - if the outcome is a properly functioning plugin that suits us both, this may be a way to go. Where we find the resource to do this is one question - elance.com or somewhere else. Whether we then monetise it, keep it for ourselves or put it out under GPL is another. All booking systems seem to be very expensive.

@DavidM, @masonjames Such a booking plugin that was extendable to include hotel, restaurant, hairdressers, etc etc would of course be a valuable resource for WPMUDEV to have..... and lead to many more members ...!

• Loggy

@bizpod - sorry not to get back to you earlier but I have been messing with this for a bit now. In fact the multisite idea has gone out of the window and everything is back on one site (there was a big theme problem).

I think the issue is better solved within the Membership plugin so that members at different levels can have different costs - even free.

I still haven't found a good solution - Allbooking seemed to be promising but I can't get it to do what I want and although the author is quite responsive and it is only $15, I fear it is not really suitable.

Yes in principle - if the outcome is a properly functioning plugin that suits us both, this may be a way to go. Where we find the resource to do this is one question - elance.com or somewhere else. Whether we then monetise it, keep it for ourselves or put it out under GPL is another. All booking systems seem to be very expensive.

@DavidM, @masonjames Such a booking plugin that was extendable to include hotel, restaurant, hairdressers, etc etc would of course be a valuable resource for WPMUDEV to have..... and lead to many more members ...!