Click on Member Profile Navs Away from Multisite Mapped URL to Subdomain.

So, I’m operating the latest versions of WP and BP, and using multisite. I’ve mapped http://changeincorporated.org/counselinginternshipscom to http://counselinginternships.com, and installed BP to root ID 7. I’m using the Chameleon Elegant theme with the BP Template pack for that theme.

But to be fair, I had this problem when trying out another theme as well (Huddle Theme, now scrapped). I’m VERY new to BP so I’m sure I sound like total noob here but here goes.

Trying to get this all working.

When I click on a member profile (my membership profile to be exact) the following things happen:
1. The nav bar attempts to load http://changeincorporated.org/counselinginternshipscom/members/ryanneace, instead of what I’m guessing it should be – http://counselinginternships.com/members/ryanneace.
2. Yet, that page never actually loads, and instead the navbar switches to http://changeincorporated.org/counselinginternshipscom, then to counselinginternships.com, creating the net effect of a really long pause/load only to have the homepage refresh.

I'm certain there's something wrong with the overall setup, but I'm clueless as to where to begin.

HELP!

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings ryan_thomas_neace,

It makes all the difference in the world and it applies to the way DNS works and resolves going through the httpd.conf and vhosts.conf files seeking the domain.

I could certainly go into a deep conversation about this subject, servers and network administration being my natural profession for the last 14 years and certainly make your eyes glaze over, but I will spare you all the techno babble.

Bottom line sir is that the instructions specifically dictate that a dedicated IP is required. The second line of the Domain Mapping instructions tells about the dedicated IP requirement. They also indicate to make sure your IP resolves to your MultiSite.

Checking your host IP as indicated in the instructions http://174.120.60.252/ does not bring up your MultiSite but in fact a 404 error.

From what I can tell you are hosting on a $4.95 a month Host Gator account at the Planet in Dallas or something to that effect which for this to work properly will have to have a dedicated IP assigned to it.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Ryan Neace

Joe - Ok. Well....the instructions for multisite indicate the necessity of dedicated IP? Ok. ?

Because of forthcoming business developments in the next year, I've got 55 multi sites on this WP-install. I'm a little overwhelmed and confused by your response here.

I've been running basic multi sites for a while now with no problems.

I install BP, and get funky error messages, and now I need to tell my hosting guy to fark off and migrate everything to a new hosting acct or something? And that will resolve the funky mapping issue on counselinginternships.com? I am certain its because my insight is so limited, but I don't understand the connection and would like some help resolving this.

Could you give me a step by step method to resolve?

Thanks for continuing to help me. My main site is changeincorporated.org, and its just peachy. Counselingstlouis.org is another sub and it is fine as well. Etc.

Please tell me what to do.

• Ryan Neace

P.S. Sorry if that came across snarky, fyi.

If you can list me prices and so forth, I'm happy to switch hosting to you at aecnu if it will resolve all this and give me a better product in the long run. I haven't been satisfied with the hosting guy anyhow. Doesn't matter to me.

Remember that Star Trek TNG episode? That's about the level of insight I have when it comes to all of this:

Commander William T. Riker: What brings you so far from home?
    Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: We look for things.
    Commander William T. Riker: What were you looking for?
    Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things we need.
    Commander William T. Riker: Can you be more specific?
    Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: Things that make us go. We need help.
    Commander William T. Riker: What is the nature of your mission?
    Pakled Captain Grebnedlog: We look for things.
    Commander William T. Riker: [to La Forge] Did you hear an echo?

I need things to make me go. I need to get to business/clinical work, and I need a functioning multisite install with buddy press on counselinginternships.com. Help me make it go.

:slight_smile: Please!

• aecnu

Greetings ryan_thomas_neace,

Joe - Ok. Well....the instructions for multisite indicate the necessity of dedicated IP? Ok. ?

No sir that is not what I said. I said that Domain Mapping requires the Dedicated IP and that the instructions for Domain Mapping, which I gave a link to, clearly state that fact and the thing with the Dedicated IP resolving to your MultiSite also came from the same instructions.

It is not that a MultiSite will not run on a non dedicated IP and I am certain that I have not inferred to such a thing, it is Domain Mapping will not run correctly nor map correctly without a dedicated IP.

I am not trying to sell you hosting nor telling there is a need to switch, but in fact (or at least I thought) that I was indicating the need to have a dedicated IP assigned to this particular MultiSite install due to its Domain Mapping plugin needs i.e. from my post above: which for this to work properly will have to have a dedicated IP assigned to it.

There is certainly a way for them to do this and it will probably cost a few bucks more a month, but not a big deal for the host to actually perform the assignment.

I love the Next Generation and to this day it is still my favorite of all though Voyager was still fun, Deep Space Nine intriguing, and I am still watching Enterprise though Johnathon Archer is good, he is certainly no John Luke Piccard .... lol

As I mentioned earlier all you need is the current host to set your current hosting for the domain name changeincorporated.org to a dedicated IP and you domain mapping shall work just fine.

However, if you are truly not happy with your current host you are welcome to join me at wpmu-hosting.org and I recommend the VPS Lite that will come with a dedicated IP for counselinginternships.com and I would certainly imagine enough of everything else to make a successful migration if you are so inclined.

Cheers, Joe

• Ryan Neace

Joe - thanks for responding again with a bit more specificity. You may well have inferred (or not inferred, as the case may be) all of this above. The difficulty in the original post, I think, was that there was an assumption I'd be able to read between the lines and know what to do with what you said. I just couldn't/didn't, so I appreciate your additional information on how to "make it go." I teach clinical counseling at the Master's level and understand you talking to me about this is like me trying to talk to a bunch of kindergardeners about Cognitive Theories.

I also appreciate you recc'ing VPS lite.

And yes, Archer is no Picard. I want to slap him at least half the time. It's to be expected, I suppose, given his noob status to space and all, with Picard having grown up with the Academy in his crosshairs. :slight_smile:

• Ryan Neace

Joe - here's the email I sent to my hosting guy and his response:

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Ryan Thomas Neace <ryan@changegroupcounseling.com> wrote:
    Kurt,
    So, I'm doing some pretty heavy WP things these days, and trying to get at least one site going with some intense buddy press features. According to several mods at WPMUDEV, they are suggesting that I need a dedicated IP for multisite to function properly given what I need it to do on BP - i.e., some of the errors I'm getting are related to the fact that a multisite install without a dedicated IP will not function correctly. As a matter of fact, they go as far as to say Domain Mapping will not run correctly nor map correctly without a dedicated IP. So, I need a dedicated IP assigned to this particular MultiSite install (changeincorporated.org) due to its Domain Mapping plugin needs. The mods inferred that "all you need is the current host to set your current hosting for the domain name changeincorporated.org to a dedicated IP and you domain mapping shall work just fine." They said this would cost a bit more, but it should be doable.

I really need this yesterday. Can you let me know whether/when you can provide this, and let me know what I need to change in my settings to make this function correctly? I'm assuming I'll have to repoint all of the sites to this new dedicated IP.

Thanks!

--
    Ryan Thomas Neace, MA, LPC, NCC

HIS RESPONSE:
    On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Kurt Feigel <kurtfeigel@gmail.com> wrote:

your hosting IP is 174.120.60.252 if you setup with that you should be fine.

• aecnu

Greetings Ryan,

Thank you for your invaluable feedback which is certainly appreciated.

As you see in his response, though brief that it is, he gave the very IP that I traced in my very first post https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/click-on-member-profile-navs-away-from-multisite-mapped-url-to-subdomain#post-232003

Which clearly indicates that this particular IP contains some 333 domains and even a sample of some of the domains on that IP.

Unfortunately we will never be able to get Domain Mapping to function properly resolving mapped domains to the sub sites under these conditions.

It truly frosts me that you gave such a clear cut explanation of your exact needs and why and he dismissed them completely without addressing a single concern of yours on any level.

So I decided to do a little more digging to determine how much he really has you under his thumb like most hosts whom respond in this manner.

I am pleased to inform you that he does not have you under his thumb with at least the CHANGEINCORPORATED.ORG domain since you are indeed registrant and administrator.

The same with COUNSELINGINTERNSHIPS.COM - you are in charge and never give that up on any domains :slight_smile:

Please advise on how you would like to proceed since your current host will not even acknowledge your need of a dedicated IP for domain mapping.

Sincerely, Joe

• Ryan Neace

Joe - thanks for writing again! I appreciate your frosting on my behalf. I'm a bit hacked off as well.

I own and am the registrant of all my domains, and on this multisite install there are currently 55. I supposed I'd like to go with the VPS lite option you suggested. What level of involvement do I require from the hosting guy to make this happen? Do I just sign up for VPS lite and then repoint the main and all of the subdomains? I don't remember how it works.

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings Ryan,

Sorry for the delay as we have been under the gun dealing with the new WordPress 3.4 release as well as the BuddyPress 1.5.6 release :-S Craziness!

I would suggest to first setup what you want the main domain to be by entering it into the VPS Lite signup and get it setup with the main domain and I will get the IP address assigned.

This will take about an hour on my end once I receive the order (I work 12-14 hours a day so it may take a little while if I am asleep) and you will receive the log in credentials for CPanel/WHM which will be immediately accessible by IP

Then throw the switch at the domain registrar for that domain and onward we go once it has propagated and the name servers are set.

But of course we will need to transfer the other domains?

We can work that out together once we get you setup and see about pulling those domains in.

I will be happy to help if needed but will need FTP/CPanel credentials for the old server. But that we can discuss off forum of course.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Ryan Neace

Thanks, Joe. Sent you an email with login credentials requested. I've got a new A name record for the new IP Address. I also entered the new server address at http://changeincorporated.org/wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=domainmapping_options.

Now I get error msgs and can't access either the new or the old control panel. Sorry. Help? I sent this via email as well, so please feel free to correspond there. Just wanted to make sure I was following protocol - you can let me know which way to continue dialogue about this.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.