Clicked category and tag links to 404 error on main site of MS install

Hello,
I have a multisite install upon which categories and tags link to a 404 error page on main site. Clicked categories and tags on other sites @ network resolve fine. I reset and updated permalink structure, checked and repaired DB but to no avail...

In the past I had the sitewide tags and post indexer plugins from WPMU installed but deleted and removed them approx 6 months ago. I have buddypress installed, but deactivated.

Any ideas on where to look for the root of the issue?

Best,
Lance

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Lance,

Where are the links to these pages? Are they ones you've added yourself? It'd help if we could get a link to your site to see what you're seeing....

If you've used post indexer in the past and links remain to pages that display global tags/categories those will no longer function if you've disabled post indexer.

Phil

• Lance
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,
    Here is some extra info that demonstrate what I am experiencing...

Main site = builderpress.com
    domain mapped sub site = lancesonka.com

To recreate, simply visit both sites and click on post categories and tag links. You should find that clicking bp site categories and tags lead to 404 error page, and clicking ls site categories and tags lead to corresponding category and tag pages.

Thanks again for your consideration.
    Lance

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure if this is a permalinks issue yet but can you do the following to help us find out for sure?;
    1. Deactivate all plugins and revert to the default theme
    2. Reset permalinks
    3. See if the tag and category pages work

If they don't work, paste the contents of your .htaccess here and we'll check that's all correct.

Cheers,
    Phil

• Lance
    • Flash Drive

@Phil +1 for you
    I did not deactivate plugins, but set default theme and reset permalinks, everything worked. Reactivated theme and settings stayed. Categories and tag links restored... I appreciate the help here!

Best,
    Lance

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.