Clients using WPMU Dev Dashboard

So I was thinking, awesome - I can let my DIY clients just use this plugin to get the resources I signed up for at WPMUDEV premium... but alas, they literally have to login to my account and have full access.
This is sad.
Any way I can give clients the ability to auto update plugins, and search for plugins/ themes only.... not have full access.
At the moment, I can download any theme/plugin and give it to a client, so this would make it easier for the "no time" DIY clients (mostly artists)
Cheers
Craig

Gabe

Well if they had access to the themes and plugins, then they'd essentially have an account without paying for it. Since you have the account, you can use the resources to benefit your client (typically, but not always on your multisite network), but clients can't use your account to access all resources. Even the APIs have a limited number of domains (unless using subdomains on the same network). If clients had unlimited access by using your account, it'd defeat the purpose and there would be rampant abuse.

Think of it this way, if clients had unlimited access via your account, what's to stop anyone from reselling WPMU DEV services to unlimited clients?

That's the way I think about it. What are your thoughts?

Patrick

Hi @whatwasthat

Gabe is correct. As they are your clients, and you are a member here (not them), that means that you accept responsibility for maintaining the products you install on their sites.

However, you can add your client's domains to our API service if certain conditions are met. For more, see "3. API Access" in our Terms of Service here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/terms-of-service/

If, on the other hand, you want your DIY clients to have full access to our products, they would need their own full access accounts.

whatwasthat

Hi Gabe and Patrick,

I do agree with all the above.
    However - on the homepage, in the FAQ section it suggests I can use any plugin for any client site.... and I saw this Dashboard plugin as a great way to distribute those plugins to my clients, especially the DIY ones that I would prefer to support "less"
    http://screencast.com/t/6FpAyrYhcuj

This is a little misleading is all

I will just have to download them all into a place that my clients can then access, like a dropbox folder or something....

Cheers

C

Patrick

@whatwasthat

Of course you can use the products on your client sites but, as I mentioned above, if they are not members at WPMU DEV, they cannot get updates or support (that is also indicated in the screencast you provided above). You will need to provide that to them. So, a dropbox account for your clients would seem like a easy way for you to manage that.

Sorry if you found the Dashboard plugin misleading. It is designed to offer members an easy way to download/update products, get support, and manage their accounts. And the plugin homepage clearly indicates that an API key is required. Ergo, an account is required

I'm going to go ahead and mark this thread as resolved. But if you still need more help on this, simply re-open the thread by ticking the Mark as Not Resolved (re-open) box below.