Cloned Site Users

Hey guys I've noticed that since the update an admin user is being added to a cloned site even though we have the "users" checkbox deselected. Also the site we're cloning from doesn't have any actual user records. Any ideas why this is happening?

• Nastia

Hello Jeff , I hope all is well!

Also the site we're cloning from doesn't have any actual user records.

Does this site have an administrator? Is this the same administrator that is assigned to a new subsite?

I've tested the plugin and no users were copied, except the administrator. The multisite WordPress by default can't have a subsite without an administrator. So if you are creating a new site, and not copying the site to an existing site, your account will be set as an administrator.

If this is not the case, please let me know and please grant access from WPMU DEV > Support so I can have a closer look.

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Jeff

Thanks Nastia. To clarify (I checked this with my support admin who does most of the cloning), in the past we believe when we cloned a brand new site from our cloning template, no users would be added at all.

We would access the clone template as a network admin, clone a new site, and the new site would show no users (not even admins). Now the new site simply assigns the person who is cloning as the admin.

This isn't a huge deal because we can then manually remove that person, but from what we remember this used to not be the case.

However, if this is how it should function then it's OK and we can manually take care of it once the cloning is finished. What we're trying to avoid is having an admin linked to too many sites in the backend.

We are cloning 100's of sites so it would not be ideal to have an admin linked to everything for viewing purposes, etc.

If there is anything you still wanted to investigate on your end I'm happy to provide a login but I'm unsure how to do so privately in this forum if you could advise.

Thanks

• Sajid

Hi Jeff,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Yes, I could replicate this issue on my own site too. But I don't think I can add it as a bug as described by Nastia above. It should have atleast one admin user.

However, I am going to flag the developer of this plugin here and ask him if there is a possibility of removing the admin user or not setting the current logged in user as admin for new sites.

Either myself or developer will post a reply here as soon as possible.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid