[Cloner] Cloner speed

Hi there, I'm using Cloner to create a staging site for Scottish Grocer (https://staging.scottishgrocer.co.uk).

When I'm logged in to the wp-admin it goes to a New Blog Setup page. I can kind of access the page when I'm not logged in (it's not complete). How long should the blog set up take and do I need to keep the broswer window open? (The set up has been going for a few days).

Many thanks, Alec

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Alec

I hope you're well today!

The cloning process shouldn't take days and while you should keep the "cloning page" open while the process goes on, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes. In some very rare cases, when the source site is very complex and huge and the server is really slow, it could be maybe 10-15 minutes but not much more.

If it got stuck for that long and the new site behaves like you described, it means that something went wrong. I see that you granted support access to the site so I tried to test that to see if I can find what could have happened there but it seems that you do not have a wild-card configured for your main domain (you have created "staging" sub-domain manually, right?).

This, unfortunately, means that I cannot even run the cloning process to create one or more new sites (which would be necessary for testing).

That said, could you please either configured wild-card subdomain or, alternatively, create 2-3 sub-domains (and let me know their names here) so I could use them for testing?

I would then access the site again to see how the process goes, what is happening and how we could fix that for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Alec,

It seems that there's something wrong with the wildcard configuration because after I created new subsite I'm unable to access it at all.
    Your existing subsite is also having HTTPS issues so it seems that you don't have SSL wildcard set on your installation.
    Both of these are affecting proper functionality of your multisite and could be causing issues during the cloning process.

Can you tell me if you've created network installation just so you can set up a staging site of your main site where you could do some changes?
    If that's the case have you considered using subfolder installation because that way there will be no need for additional SSL and subdomain wildcard configuration?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.