Cloner's hanging, destination site with white screen

I really feel like I've been sold a bill of goods with Cloner.

I took the advice WPMU gave, to use it to set up MU networks for staging. I just redid a site using that method: clone to a subsite (seemed to go OK), then clone the subsite to the main site.

It's been hanging with no visible activity for 10 minutes.

Thankfully, I made Snapshots of each site before this started. I need to be done for the day in an hour, and this was supposed to take all of five minutes to transfer, then 20 minutes to check over.

Help?

Edit: I was wrong. The entire network, including the WP backend, is on a white screen.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Adam, so sorry to hear about your issues with Cloner.

To get your site back online, try to access via FTP and remove or rename the Cloner plugin folder. If that doesn't work, try temporarily renaming your entire plugins folder.

*Important: Don't go to the actual plugins page on your site with the plugin folder renamed, and you'll be able to keep all the currently active plugins active when you return the plugin folder to its original name.*

It sounds as if your server may have timed out in the middle of a clone, thus this hang, and the whitescreen of death issue.

Let's look into that after we get you back online, however.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Adam,

First, if the Snapshot isn't already listed in All Snapshots, you'll need to import it, via Snapshot > Import.

Once it's imported, go to Snapshots > All, and choose restore.

While I'm here, I've got some resources on finding out your current memory limit, and how to reset that limit higher to prevent this kind of time out.

http://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/forum/topic/how-to-increase-wordpress-memory-and-php-memory-limit

http://ideaboxthemes.com/increase-php-memory-limit-wordpress/

Let me know where this gets you.

• Adam
      • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi @Michelle Shull,

Thanks for sticking with me. I've restored twice from the same Snapshot—which was taken just a few minutes ago of the staging site—and what I'm getting looks like a just-installed theme.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Adam,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for granting access :slight_smile:

My first thought was that the clone might be large, so it can take some time to restore it to the new site. Did it take very long to copy all the files?

It doesn't appear like your staging site has much content to it.

Can you check your server error logs? You should be able to find an error log either in your root directory or in your cpanel. That might give us some more clues to what happened :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back Adam!

All the best,
    Tyler

As for snapshot we can find it's error logs via:

wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_logs then select a log and see if there are any errors :slight_smile:

• Adam

Thanks, @Tyler Postle.

The staging site has most of the site's content—in all, a Snapshot is only about 15MB. I'm not sure why it would've taken long to clone at all. Quick refresher: it didn't clone; it hung and crashed.

Latest Snapshot log attached. No errors I could find.

• Adam

Hi all,

It only gets worse as I investigate. No menus, widgets/customizer system is broken. TablePress tables missing. WPMU Google Maps and regular WP pages didn't migrate. Even Events+ didn't bring over its events.

Cloner has been a disaster. I don't know why Snapshot wasn't able to fix things, but this whole situation leaves me very cold on WPMU.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Adam.

I found a thread with a similar issue: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/sites-cloned-with-cloner-only-show-white-screen-of-death

Sadly the solution is only mentioned in pretty vague terms, there was a server misconfiguration.

If you can access them via your host control panel, would you mind checking your server error logs after an attempted clone, and see if any errors or warnings there might apply?

Thanks for your patience, I know how frustrating troubleshooting can be.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey there, Adam!

I think I see an issue, can you try disabling revolution slider and see if you are able to successfully clone your site? If that doesn't do it, I think the issue might be with your theme. It looks as though there may be some errors in the theme itself, per this line:

[10-Sep-2014 19:42:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare set_revslider_as_theme() (previously declared in /home4/gourmew0/public_html/abqslams/wp-content/themes/churchope/lib/revslider/revslider.php:36) in /home4/gourmew0/public_html/abqslams/wp-content/plugins/revslider/revslider.php on line 45

Thanks!

• Adam

Unfortunately, the theme requires Revolution Slider. Fortunately, Churchope was the old theme, which was being replaced by the staging site's theme.

This cloning disaster happened at the worst possible moment for this website—in the middle of a community shakeup, which gave the appearance of an intentionally broken community resource—so I'll have to wait a while before cloning again. I'm not convinced that cloning to a subsite will reproduce the conditions.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hey Adam,

Oh no, that's like a perfect storm of what every webmaster doesn't want.

From this error, it looks like Churchope is the culprit here, so, ideally, when you move from staging to production this shouldn't be an issue any longer.

Best of luck to you! I hope your community comes through this shakeup stronger than ever.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.