Cloning Sites, then Domain Mapping

At my company, we publish five newsletters across various healthcare issues. I have built the first at the following domain:

http://insightfulsmiles.com

My goal is to clone the site for the four remaining newsletters using MultiSite. Those sites are as follows:

straighttalkmo.com
straighttalksc.com
advanticaview.com
advanticavoice.com

I have MultiSite active and have tried my best to utilize the WPMU Cloning and Mapping plugins but things aren't working out.

Step 1 would be this:

Clone insightfulsmiles.com. (I assume the clone has to start as a xxxx.insightfulsmiles.com domain...?) If that is the case, I would clone it as the following subdomain: straighttalkmo.insightfulsmiles.com. This should clone the entire site, correct? Do I need to have a subdomain already set up on my hosting site, Bluehost? (I tried that already, and it still didn't work)

Step 2:

I need to map that domain to my dev domain: dev.straighttalkmo.com. Under Mapped Domains, I don't see any option to "Add New" or where to start the mapping process. Eventually this dev domain will be changed to the main straighttalkmo.com

It is simple in my mind. Clone newsletter to new domains. Change posts and branding. Boom, done.

• James Morris

Hello Philip,

I hope you are well today.

How to accomplish this will depend on how you setup your multisite network. If you are using the subdomain install as you seem to be indicating, you will need to make sure you have a wildcard A record setup with your hosting provider (if supported) that automatically maps your subdomains to the correct IP address. This is why you don't see an option to add a new subdomain, it's not required in multisite. You only need the A record. It would look something like the following:

*.yourwebsite.com. 14400 IN A 192.168.0.1

When you are cloning sites, yes, everything is cloned, or only what you specify to be cloned. Also, when you clone the site, it will be created as clonedname.yourwebsite.com. Later you can change clonedname.yourwebsite.com to anydomainyouwant.com using Domain Mapping with a couple mouse clicks.

Please note: Shared hosting providers usually do not support wildcard DNS records. This usually requires at least a VPS hosting account.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Philip,

Hmmm... This is a very strange symptom. I will need to dig into this a bit deeper to see why you're getting these symptoms.

In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your site and server?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Domain Registrar Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Philip,

Thank you for sending that information to me.

The reason you were getting the 404 error was because your wildcard record wasn't configured correctly. Please see the following KB article for Bluehost: https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/527

I've corrected this for you and everything seems to be working well now. I rand a quick cloning test and it worked correctly.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Philip,

What wasn't configured properly?

The record was added as a host record and not a subdomain. This is a little unusual, but I followed BlueHost's steps after removing the other records and it worked.

Also, can the attached image be accomplished using domain mapping?

Hmmm.... Not really. Not so much because of a limitation of Domain Mapping, but because you're domains are pointing to different folders. All sites hosted on your multisite need to be pointed to the same folder on the server's filesystem.

Now, If you point all the domains to the same folder and allow mapping of multiple domains in Domain Mapping, then yes, it is possible.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.