Cloudflare causing problems on my site

Hi, One of the Trustees on the Board of the museum I support with our WP site couldn't find any of the material he submitted and I posted into several wikis. When I did a search using his name, the author of the material, I got an error message that I had never sen before. It originated from Cloudflare. I called Cloudflare and was told that WP is built on top of Cloudflare and I should contact you for support.

Here is some pertinent info:
NOTE: the problems occur on the front end, what the user sees, not the back end (from the dashboard).
1. I use the default WP search as we had problems with Google search
2. I don't know exactly when this error started, but it is very recent - definitely within the past month or two.
3. In attempting to do a search, one of three things occurs:
- I get an error message originating from Cloudflare
- Instead of going to the relevant page from a search, it goes back to the home page
- sometimes, with low frequency, I actually get search results
4. I have not added any NEW plugins or themes in the past few months (since before this problem started occurring).
5. I update plugins, themes and WP as they have an update, in other words, almost daily.
6. I have searched my site using cpanel and I have absolutely no instances of either 'cloudflare.com' or the word cloudflare within my site, but I get a cloudflare originated error when doing a search.
7. We do not use cloudflare. This error results from WP being built on top of cloudflare (per the cloudflare tech I spoke to at their HQ).

Please help!
I am enabling support access, but you can reproduce the problems by just going to http://www.skydiving-encyclopedia.com, click Table of Contents, choose a topic, then use the search box.

Mary Todd, SysAdmin/Developer
skydiving-encyclopedia.com
a project of the International Skydiving Museum and Hall of Fame

• Rupok

Hi Mary,

Thanks for asking. There are a few things I need details about.

couldn't find any of the material he submitted and I posted into several wikis

Can you please provide any sample material so we can see the issue live on your site? I can tell you better when I can see the exact issue on site and make some tests. Are you using any kind of caching on server level or any level? If yes, can you please try clearing those?

In attempting to do a search, one of three things occurs

I tried to follow your instructions. I clicked a topic and then searched, but for me, nothing of these three happened. Rather it kept loading and loading and finally shown me this:

I tried couple of times, but the result is same always. This is termporary 502 error and it's your server side issue. So can you please talk to your host regarding this? I believe, they can give you best answer about why this is happening.

I get a cloudflare originated error when doing a search

Can you please provide a screenshot of that page? That will give us valuable insight regarding this issue. I checked your DNS and it's not pointed to Cloudflare, so Cloudflare should play no game here.

Can you also turn on debug mode in WordPress? To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

Past errors here. If file is very long, paste them to a text file and attach with your reply.

Please let us know all these details. These will help us to investigate further. I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Mary

Hi Rupok,

Please look at the two screen shots I attached. One of them is the page source code that does point to cloudflare. See line 11 of the code.

The other screen shot is exactly the same thing you got. Sorry to mention this, but it's obvious you didn't even look at my screen shots.

I am happy to enable debug, and also contact my host, but before I do that will you explain why I have never had any error message that looks anything like this, and it is from cloudflare. So please don't make me got through all those steps until you really understand what is happening.

Mary :slight_frown:

• Mary

Regarding caching, I tried the WPMU Dev Hummingbird. It caused tons of problems! So now I'm not using any caching programs. It has been several months since I last used it - long before this problem occurred.

AND the tech support guy at Cloudflare said WP is built on top of cloudflare. I don't understand why I get a cloudflare message but you think the problem is my host. Can you explain?

Mary

• Rupok

Hi Mary,

I'm so sorry for the miscommunication. I'm afraid I could not describe it properly. Let me try again.

One of them is the page source code that does point to cloudflare. See line 11 of the code.

I saw that screenshot but I must admit, I didn't go line by line, so missed that Cloudflare link, I'm sorry for that. If you look at that link, you will understand that, your site is not under Cloudflare, only that error page is. And even that full page is not under cloudflare, that page is calling just a css file from an ajax library. I'm confident about this because I've checked the source code for other pages of your site, there is no Cloudflare link.

The other screen shot is exactly the same thing you got

You are absolutely right, but I gave it just to confirm that I could not get the other two outcomes you mentioned in your thread. I'm getting this error everytime I try.

before I do that will you explain why I have never had any error message that looks anything like this... I don't understand why I get a cloudflare message but you think the problem is my host. Can you explain?

As I just said above, that page has only one asset loading from a Cloudflare CDN, nothing else. And if you look at the title of that error page, it says Error 504. Now 504 is related to your server. You can get detailed idea regarding this from here: http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E504.html
    They are saying:

This problem is entirely due to slow IP communication between back-end computers, possibly including the Web server. Only the people who set up the network at the site which hosts the Web server can fix this problem.

AND the tech support guy at Cloudflare said WP is built on top of cloudflare

Well, let me describe how Cloudflare works. Cloudflare is a CDN, that means Content Delivery Network. And to make Cloudflare work for your site, you need to point your domain to Cloudflare nameservers. I checked your domain and they are not pointing to Cloudflare nameservers. So there is no way that your site is using Cloudflare proxy or caching. Can you please ask Cloudflare tech support regarding this and let us know what they say about this?

Considering all of these, I suggested you to contact your host because in most of the places, it's written that 504 error can be resolved by the people who manage your hosting configuration.

The Trustee's name is Mike Horan. He has authored several wikis

Thanks for informing. I'll check this after we resolve this 504 issue. What do you say?

Please let us know what your host say about this. We will be glad to help if anything is required from our end.

I hope you are not offended with my first reply. I described all these just to make sure that your thread is not being neglected, and is being treated with full attention and care.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.