CloudFlare delegation affect WP installation?

Hello,

If I have my domain name pointing to CloudFlare (https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us) are you aware of any problems with installing WordPress after doing that?

Thank you

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michael,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I've never had a chance to install WP after pointing a domain to CloudFlare, usually doing it otherwise: first installing WP and then changing domain delegation. I don't think however that should cause any trouble, at least not with a typical single install.

If it doesn't you'll probably have to point your domain back to your server directly and then, after the installation is complete, push it again to CF.

If you have any further questions on this, I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Michael

Hi Adam,

Thank you, that is good to know.

I am so frustrated though, as I can't even do something as basic as install WordPress right now, I have been pulling my hair out for hours a day trying to simply get it installed on Godaddy. I did this before instantly, but since I got hacked (which I thought Godaddy would prevent) I have been going perfectly insane trying to recover ... so I've gone down the CF path and even if I pause or don't pause the servers going through CF I can't re-install WP anymore whatsoever, which means I can't get anything going, no plug-ins, no ManageWP nothing. I've sent 10 e-mails to Godaddy and all I get is to try to uninstall and reinstall but I've done that 8 times now. Completely lost but my intro to WP has been a total disaster now and I'm really depressed about it all.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Michael

Hi Adam,

For example, I have tried to instal WP on http://uworlds.biz/hotel/china/ so I would expect to be able to go to this URL and see the login panel. Instead, I am being taken to the install screen to re-enter all my information all over again http://uworlds.biz/hotel/china/wp-admin/install.php
    but I never had to do this before my WP sites were hacked.

Do you know why on earth this would be happening?

Thanks
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michael,

This is quite strange. I doubt that it has anything to do with CF (though I might be wrong). I'm not sure what's the problem here but it can be anything from wrong db configuration, through some strict server setting (like file permissions), until the broken WP .zip archive (less likely).

In order to install WP (is it single or Multisite?) you probably
    - upload the WP files and folders to your server
    - create DB
    - configure DB access credentials in your wp-config.php file
    - try to run installer

I know that's obvious but can you confirm that?

Also, what is the exact moment when you're taken back to install - is it instantly after you click "Install" or does the installer say that everything is setup and then takes you back to install?

Please advise!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Michael

Thanks Adam,

The installer says that everything is setup (for the times when there seems to be no error) but then when you go to domain.com/wp-admin it forwards you to domain.com/wp-admin/install as if I never installed it and then it asks for all the same settings all over again (instead of just showing the login screen).

Godaddy have convinced me to upgrade to their newer cpanel hosting (my hosting is a couple years old) as there are different technical things in place which may fix this. I don't really understand, but I had to do something, so I am now moving all of my sites (loads, I mean loads) across to a new hosting plan hoping this will fix it. I really am at a loss at why the old hosting couldn't just be fixed because it WAS working originally ... until I got hacked ... but nothing has worked since. To me it seems a hidden file has been corrupted which is messing up the install, that can be the only answer ... something is now there that was not there before ... some code in some file ... it's the only logical explanation to me.

Anyways, guess I will need to try again after all has been moved. Very painful isn't it.

Kind regards,
    Mike

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Michael!

Thank's for clarification!

The installer says that everything is setup (for the times when there seems to be no error) but then when you go to domain.com/wp-admin it forwards you to domain.com/wp-admin/install as if I never installed it and then it asks for all the same settings all over again (instead of just showing the login screen).

This usually means that there are a few things worth checking:

1. Is there wp-config.php file in your install's root folder?
    2. If so, are the proper db access credentials inside?
    3. is there a .htaccess file that's redirecting to installer?

This a rare issues but they sometimes do occur. This is usually related to file permissions settings, resulting in installer not being able to write to all the files it needs to.

Also, if this is not a case, you can access your database with phpMyAdmin (or any db manager you've access to on your sever) and give the "repair tables" option a try.

To me it seems a hidden file has been corrupted which is messing up the install, that can be the only answer ... something is now there that was not there before ... some code in some file ... it's the only logical explanation to me.

Most likely, you're right. There's a chance that there's either a malicious code in a hidden file sitting somewhere on your account and you might not be able to see this file. If you can't see it though, there's no way of finding it without some helping hand from hosting's tech support guys.

Anyways, guess I will need to try again after all has been moved. Very painful isn't it.

So, as I understand, you're now moving your sites and if everything goes right, then this thread will be no longer relevant?

Keep me updated, please!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.