Coding Lifetime Support, Membership ?'s

Hi!

I’ve been planning this for over a year now, and finally took the plunge and got everything up within hours last night (helps I’m a developer so I can do this with my eyes closed). I’m opening up a “Build your own Website” type of network using a WP Framework + Child Themes.

I have have ONE subscription level, with 3 options. Monthly, Yearly, or Lifetime. NO free levels, or users. After doing some research on this forum, it seems there are two ways to add lifetime support to this plugin;

A. By hacking code, which I’m cool with but don’t want to have to do it again when you update your plugin. B. By using a membership system, which I’m cool with as long as I can still use Pro Sites?

Which is the preferred method? I’m happy to start using your membership plugin, but do I need it? I do not want to loose the way ProSites is setup, as it’s precisely what I need for my business model.

Thoughts?

Nick

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

Nice idea – I reckon you should be able to achieve that by using Membership and the integration that allows you to assign a Pro Site level to subscribers.

That way, your lifetime subscription would place folks on the 3rd Pro Site level but only charge the one-time amount, where as your other two would be recurring subscriptions.

Thanks,

Phil

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Oh, another method – which might be easier – is to hook into the process that Pro Sites users to trigger renewals.

When Pro Sites goes to charge a lifetime user for another year of access you can jump in and “fake” the purchase, convincing Pro Sites that the renewal payment has occured, there by leaving the user on that level but not having actually paid again since the initial signup.

Thanks

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

So, in summary I can use the Membership plugin to set MONTHLY, YEARLY, and LIFETIME subscription options that tie into Pro Sites? Is that the only feature of Membership I would be using?

It sounds like it may be easier to just manually adjust them to a lifetime option within ProSites?

Thanks for the lighting fast response. Really makes me feel good on being a member here.

Nick

****EDIT****

I’ve been looking at your Membership plugin. Couldn’t that just replace the ProSites plugin, as Membership is already handling billing? Is this a better route to take, since I have only ONE option with no restrictions on certain groups?

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

I just installed the Membership plugin. The registration form has no area for the user to create their site. Is there something I’m missing here?

***Edit***

Let me back up a bit. I want to explain what I’m after, and would you mind letting me know what pieces I need?

1. A visitors goes to a page called Register, or Signup.

2. On that page they choose their site name, user name, password, and payment method.

3. They choose monthly, yearly, or lifetime, and they checkout.

4. After checkout, they return to their own WordPress dashboard.

I was under the assumption that ProSites did this?

Nick

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

Resolved probably wasn’t the right word. More like “settled.” I ended up just deciding to make a 7 day free trial because there isn’t a way to do the above with Pro Sites. It makes one create an account, THEN they have to upgrade. I really, really, really do not want to spent $200 just to get this plugin, but it’s looking like it may be the only option to get that process above.

http://www.gravityforms.com/add-ons/user-registration/

• nphaskins
    • Flash Drive

…and after thinking about it more, I’m not even sure if that would work. ProSites looks like they handle the billing, so I’m not sure if the ProSites plugin would sync with the Gravity Forms plugin to tell the system the user has been paid…..

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.