combining registration/login/logout in subdomain sites

Hi - I have three sites domain.com sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com.
Each is a separate install of the latest WP.

None of the sites currently have members except for Admin.

I want visitors to be able to register at any one of these sites and then login from any one of them. Likewise when they log out they should be logged out from all of them.

In other words I want the membership to function as though it was one site.

What is the best/easiest way to do this?

For instance - would it be easier if the three sites were part of a multisite installation? And if so how could I set this up as they werent created this way?

WOuld it be even better if they were part of a Buddypress install so that I could use some BP plugin to combine the 3? (I dont really want to use BP but if its the easiest way... )

Or could a developer somehow use cookies that were accepted by all three databases as proof of being logged in ?

I hope Im being clear enough here - Im a bit lost in the possibilities but feel others must have done this before?

Thanks - DV

• Narada
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Tom - great thats definitely a step in the right direction and I had missed it when I went through the plugins.

But -
    although it appears to combine registrations
    it does not seem from what I just read that it also combines login/logout.
    Am I wrong about this?
    Or any ideas of a solution to this part of the problem ?

Thanks muchly -
    Dan V

• Narada
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hmmm.... now Im really worried... those links were from a year or two ago... and no one seems to have really foud a good solution to the problem.

I find it a strange limitation of WP that you cant really run two themes in different parts of the one site.

Im beginning to wonder if the obvious right way to do this would be an MU install with BP and three different themes installed on three different blogs but aggregated by BP to work as one site.

But if I try go this way Im afraid that these themes will not play well with BP etc :slight_frown:

I guess I could post this as a job for an outsourcer, but getting a setup that is not going to break every time one of the sites is updated could be a nightmare.

Any other suggestions ?
    What about a 'remember me' function so that at least when they are logged into one site they will automatically log into the second site when they go there? I suppose that - combined with the WPMUdev User registration plugin would almost be good enough....

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hiya, just going through some of the older threads here.

As it's been a little while since we last heard from you I thought I'd check in to see how you're going?

If you're still looking for some further assistance with this thread then please feel free to reopen the thread or of course for any new and related issues you are most welcome to open a new thread.

Cheers!
    Tom

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.