Coming back to Website down?

Greetings! I haven't been on ammaroots.com recently, though when I went to the site the website is showing an "HTTP ERROR 500" error. The wp-admin is showing the same.

I'm not sure what may have caused this, perhaps a plugin update? I added a mu-plugins file via cPanel which fixed a Defender scan error:

<?php
add_filter( 'wd_limit_cpu', function () {
	return 20;
} );

Though I doubt this is the culprit.

Is there a way to run a debug or test why this is happening?
Looking forward.

Best Regards!
Ciro Bey

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Ciro Bey,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I doubt that this mu-plugin would be a culprit here too. Just to make sure, I added it to my site and it didn't break it.

However, in case where you don't even have an access to the admin area, disabling plugins would be a necessary action. The issue is most likely a consequence of an update of some of the plugins or the theme or even WP core and in order to "get inside" and identify the culprit (and then, knowing about it, the solution) follow these steps please:

1. Access your server via FTP
    2. Go to "/wp-content/" folder
    3. Rename "plugins" folder to "plugins_off"
    4. Rename "mu-plugins" folder to "mu-plugins-off"
    5. Try accessing your site's admin area; hopefully you should now be able to log in; if that works:

6. Go to "Plugins" page and you should be notified that all the plugins has been disabled

7. Access the site via FTP again and enter "/wp-content" folder and rename "plugins_off" back to "plugins"

8. In an admin area start enabling all the plugins one-by-one and see at which point site goes down.

That would be the main culprit and we could investigate it further. After the site goes down again you may just repeat steps 1, 2,3 and 5 to get it up again.

Keep me updated please!

Best regards,
    Adam

• Ciro Bey

Greetings Adam Czajczyk !

After renaming the plugins folder I was able to get into the admin and load the site. I'm not sure which plugin was the issue, I didn't have the problem again after reverting the plugins folder name. Though, a plugin "Flatty Admin Theme" could've been the issue. There were a few updates to that plugin back to back, though I'm not certain that was the issue. I'm just guessing.

Thank you for the fix though, this is very useful information for future reference. Not just for me but for others as well!

Much Love,
    Ciro Bey