Comment for Pages Problem

Buddypress seems to have recently changed and stopped putting comments from pages into the Activity. Which has left me high and dry because it killed my Activity from all the page / articles within my MS site.

Having left a 'How to' entry on the buddypress forum for a few weeks / months without any feedback on how to address this problem then one of my primary reasons of joining WPMU Dev was to get the comments indexer that I quote 'Indexes ALL comments' across the next work.

Using the Live Stream widget set to deliver 'Comments' only it doesn't seem to present comments from pages. It bizarrely DOES present comments from 'wiki' pages with this setting. It does present comments from pages if you select to have delivered All Activity.

With ALL activity it does deliver page comments it also delivers posts but not new 'pages'.

Is it possible to;
1) Allow page comments to be added to the stream as comments?
2) Allow pages to be added to the stream (maybe selectively)?
3) and / or can anyone let me know if there is a code 'snippet' or a plugin that will add pages and page comments to the buddypress activity stream.

There seems to be a gap in the software and in thinking. I can appreciate that 'pages' will have many people thinking in terms of 'About' or 'Contact' or 'Terms' or 'Products' in terms of 'pages'. However, in my terms 'Pages' when presented as 'Articles' in a defined order i.e. more in terms of what some might think of as a CMS presentation then these types of 'Pages' as 'Articles' are way more important than 'Posts', at least they are for me.

Thanks

• Paul

@Clive,

This may not be related to the Live Stream Widget. Depending on your setup the Live Stream widget has two basic sources to retrieve comments. Under Multisite you can install the Comment Indexer (I think you mentioned this) or you can select to have Live Stream use the local site only.

1) Allow page comments to be added to the stream as comments?
    Live Stream does not collect the comments when using Comment/Post Indexer. It more or less is a reporting tool for the two Indexer plugins

2) Allow pages to be added to the stream (maybe selectively)?
    This might be possible. Part of the issue I can see is Pages not chronologically based like Posts. But don't want to rule out not including them.

3) and / or can anyone let me know if there is a code 'snippet' or a plugin that will add pages and page comments to the buddypress activity stream.
    Sorry, I can't help on that. This would be part of WordPress core. Not sure why BuddyPress would then prevent it.

• Clive

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I've had Comment and Post Indexer running for a couple of days so 'Live Stream' is set to the entire multisite space.It does work (include page comments) with the ALL Activity option but it would be nice to have more settings and to have pages added too.

It would be nice to have the option to include page updates also.

I'm not sure if it's wordpress or buddypress that's stopped the page comments being included in the activity I think it's something buddypress did to try and accommodate custom posts (that's a guess). One day it was putting page comments and then the next time I updated WP & BP it stopped. I've 3 multisites and they all stopped doing this and I even tried to get it working on another hosting server just to make sure it wasn't a server problem. What was to me a 'feature' is now a 'bug' from the buddypress.org side.

• Paul

@Clive,

See my response to your question on the Comment Indexer here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/indexing-page-comments#post-356360

Using the Live Stream widget set to deliver 'Comments' only it doesn't seem to present comments from pages. It bizarrely DOES present comments from 'wiki' pages with this setting. It does present comments from pages if you select to have delivered All Activity.

Just tested this on a stock Multisite 3.5.1 running 5 blogs. Default TwentyTwelve theme.

1. Test 1 - If I set the widget 'what content to show' dropdown to 'Local' And set the 'Content Types' to All or Comments I get the expected results. It shows the Page comment. The widget does not distinguish the difference between Post, Page or other post type comments.

2. Test 2 - If I set the widget 'what content to show' dropdown to 'All' And set the 'Content Types' to All or Comments I get the expected results. It shows the Page comment again.

I think I see what is going on though and this might be how you are getting caught. When you use the Live Stream for non-Local comments it uses the database populated by the Comment Indexer plugin. What the widget does internally is query the wp_site_comments table for comments. Because it needs to also display the post title it then JOINS the comment data with the related post from the Post Indexer tables. It the matching Post is not found the comment is not included in the display.

So it is advisable to have both the Post Indexer and Comment Indexer plugins active at the same time. Also both of these plugins do not build previously processed Posts/Comments. They only hook into the action of new Posts/Comments.

If you are still not seeing Page comments then this might be something with your BuddyPress setup which is beyond what I can support. Sorry.

• Clive

Thanks John

Paradoxically I was waiting to make sure I'd got everything working before adding more pages. So, the comments I've been writing as a 'test' are all on pages that were written before either the comment or post indexer were activated - they were all imported from another site.

Would the old pages get indexed if I edited them and changed the date and resaved?

In just testing now a comment added to an old post that was there before the post indexer was activated appears on Live Stream.

Are pages added to the post indexer?

I deactivated BP and still don't get comments from pages. I'll check the database.

• Clive

Haha 'Frank' - Sorry too many web pages open cannot keep track. I've 4 support questions open.

Paul, my page comments are in the wp_site_comments table, they are just not making it out via Live Stream. Also, pages are not indexed by the post indexer (or are not making it there). Wiki pages are. I've tried resaving a page and also creating a new page BUT neither are making it to the wp_site_posts table (I'm assuming this is where the Post Indexer puts it's data).

This is with BP off and all themes are from here, I'm using Business Corporate for all sites (front + 3).

I'll try the new Live Stream tomorrow - I'm having a rest now.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.