Comments not appearing on posts

Hello,

I am using your plugin on my blog and it works. However, I have a problem with the comments not appearing. For example:

http://garodedeyan.com/?p=77

This post is published on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garodedeyan and on Facebook it has a couple of comments and likes. It shows two comments on the WordPress side of things but I do not see the actual comments.

Also I tried ‘import comments now’ and no comments seem to be imported for my other wordpress posts.

Thank you in advance

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings trippyvibes,

Being a techy one of the first things I noticed was a big no-no for SEO and most plugins, that being the default permalink shown in your sample URL above -> http://garodedeyan.com/?p=77

I would suggest resetting your permalinks to preferably /%postname%/ where then your URL and permalink for this post would appear to be something like:

http://garodedeyan.com/beacons-of-light/

Much better looking and much more SEO URL friendly to include keywords in the permalink :slight_smile:

If someone on Google typed in Beacons or Beacons of Light there is a chance they will find the post, but otherwise I do not think they will be typing in p=77

This is your personal choice of course but many of the plugins here on WPMU Dev and elsewhere will not run correctly with the default permalink setting as indicated by your original URL.

Now on to the issue you are reporting.

I visited your Facebook wall and could not find your post at all. I could not see how to get to your page.

On your site I see that it mentions 2 comments and of course how to get to those comments I do not know.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer of the Ultimate Facebook plugin to fill in here on what I do not know with his invaluable insight as to his advice as to why we cannot get to those comments.

Though it may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

In addition to what Joe already said about permalinks (you really want “pretty” permalinks, if at all possible), I see a couple of comments on that post listed in the sidebar, but can’t get to them on the actual article page. Could this possibly be a theme-related issue? To determine this, could you please try switching to another theme (2011 is a good starting choice in these situations) and see if it helps?

• trippyvibes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you both for your kind recommendations. I have changed the permalink to your suggestion which is 100% valid.

I switched to another theme and the comments still did not appear. I will await your developers’ suggestions / recommendations. I can provide FTP or whatever is needed.

Thank you again

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Trippy, did you specifically try switching to the default WP Twenty Ten or Twenty Eleven theme, per Ve’s suggestion?

Also, I know it’s dumb but since your blog is new I will ask .. did you add the comments before or after installing the plug-in? Just curious if comments were working fine before the install.

• trippyvibes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I first switched it to twenty ten and did not see the comments. I just tried Twenty Eleven and I could see that it says two replies on my post. I clicked on the link and I saw the actual replies / comments that were made on facebook – so it worked to some degree.

I could not find any other comments or replies on any other posts, despite me trying to import comments several times.

Yes the blog is new but I installed the plugin when I first installed wordpress. I hired someone to install it all for me.

Thank you for your help.

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Ah, okay. So it’s unknown whether the comments were working before or not. Did you deactivate the plug-in and test the comments again?

Also, did you consult the person you hired to see if he/she has any input or made any code changes?

Just trying to narrow down the problem focus.

Now that you can see the comments, what other issues are there?

• trippyvibes
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

The problem with comments is still there, it just worked when I switched the theme as suggested. However, there are comments missing for all the posts. When I ask it to import comments from Facebook, nothing gets imported.

The person who installed things for me is not available. Is it possible that I can hire someone in your team to fix and organize this situation for me? I am prepared to pay for your time of course.

Thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.