Comments not showing up

OK, here we go...

1) I installed the ultimate facebook plugin. Everything went smoothly. I read the usage instructions, extended permissions and all...The "published to facebook" column in the "posts page" in the backend, displays "no". my question is how do i get it to yes? once its linked, i suppose the comments importer will work?

2) The comments/comment box don't appear. I tried unchecking the comment checkbox in "discussions. in the post. checking one and not the other. everything. No way to get it to show. I even checked that the single.php had the comments line. no dice.

Thank you. http://www.icrealab.com/blog. (check the first post.)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

Thank you for these great questions and significant items to bring up.

The "published to facebook" column in the "posts page" in the backend, displays "no"

I cannot fidn were you are seeing this "no" at, can you please clarify or post a screen shot?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

Thank you for your additional input and for the screen shot, both are greatly appreciated.

1) I installed the ultimate facebook plugin. Everything went smoothly. I read the usage instructions, extended permissions and all...The "published to facebook" column in the "posts page" in the backend, displays "no". my question is how do i get it to yes?

It appears that you have gotten the last post to indicate that it has been posted to Facebook and I would imagine that one posted because it was made after getting the Ultimate Facebook plugin setup?

Note that posts made prior to the successful setting up Ultimate Facebook are not going post. Only those entered after successful setup.

once its linked, i suppose the comments importer will work?

If indeed setup correctly I agree, but remember this means that the comments made on Facebook will be imported to the relative post on your site, at least that is the way I understand it.

2) The comments/comment box don't appear. I tried unchecking the comment checkbox in "discussions. in the post. checking one and not the other. everything. No way to get it to show. I even checked that the single.php had the comments line. no dice.

I visited your site and I indeed see the that comments are enabled.

Please post a screen shot of your Ultimate Facebook comments settings so that we may see what we got going on there.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

Thank you for the additional input and screen shot, it is appreciated.

Looking at the screen shot everything looks fine to me and I am thinking at this point that we have either a conflict with another plugin or theme or there is a hosting issue.

So obviously the first thing to go after would be the possible conflict. Therefore it is time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• icrealab
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

ok, i got leave a reply to disappear by unchecking the corresponding box in discussions. then unchecking it in the posts page. however it says "comments closed"
    is that something i should remove manually in the php file? is this something everyone has to do?

• icrealab
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

ok final update (recap) : it seems to work with twenty eleven. two problems
    1) leave a reply still there, if i dont allow comments, it says comments closed.
    2) my latest post actually posted to facebook (yay) but without the picture(s). secondly, the comment i put in did not import. the comment i put on the article in my blog did not export.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

Thank you again for your input and the recap is great.

1) leave a reply still there, if i dont allow comments, it says comments closed.

When set to do not allow comments the anticipated response is for it to tell us comments are closed.

2) my latest post actually posted to facebook (yay) but without the picture(s). secondly, the comment i put in did not import. the comment i put on the article in my blog did not export.

Yay is agreed upon :slight_smile: However, my latest post actually posted to facebook (yay) but without the picture(s) and the comment was placed on Facebook as well?

Just went to check your blog again before calling in the lead developer of the Ultimate Facebook plugin and it is not coming up, just the home page. Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

It appears that you have worked through most of the reported issues you were having with the plugin and things are changing drastically between rounds I may going through tickets.

I do see that the image has not appeared on Facebook, or at least the image in the post has not.

I do see that the Facebook comment box is indeed present and when I click on reply the reply box is replaced with the Facebook reply box as anticipated.

For the remaining issue which appears to be the image at this point, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• icrealab
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

OK. It's not just the image(s) that is not on facebook. Even though the facebook comments box shows up, comments are not added onto the original post...which means that comments added in facebook dont get imported to the site. maybe its linked to the image issue...

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

Thank you for the additional input and symptoms you added in your last post as we await the arrival of the lead developer and his expertise concerning these issues.

Hopefully he will be making it in here sooner then later.

Sincerely, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings icrealab,

I have modified your email address in the above post to help avoid the spam bots from harvesting the address.

I do not know if he will need the log in details, but the lead developer @Vladislav should be along soon and I am sure that he will email you for those details if necessary.

Cheers, Joe

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hello,

As for the image in your post, you can't get it up there in such a way - Facebook pretty much sanitizes all wall/profile content, for security reasons. You can, however, set an image to appear next to your post by using OpenGraph meta tags on your site. You do this by setting the image you want as "Featured Image" (or make use of the new OpenGraph metabox).

As for the comments, the plugin won't push your local WordPress comments to Facebook, but it will import the Facebook comments (if configured to do so) that were left on your auto-published posts on Facebook. Please, also note that this action is scheduled - i.e. not instantaneous.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya @icrealab

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.

We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.

Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any ways.

Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.

Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.