comments plus leading to 404 error message

http://lovelinkin.com/lovelinks-35-voting/

Comments Plus has gone from the reply to comments link not working to not working at all. Please help. Thanks.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Ahh, if it is happening with the default then I would envisage it isn't the plugin causing the issue (if its disabled also).

Works ok on my test install as well.

Are you currently on the latest version of WordPress? Its now 3.3?

If you are then the next step would be to disable all your plugins and test. If it starts to work, then one of the plugins is causing the issue. You would then activate each one, one at a time and test again. When it stops working you will have found the culprit.

It could also be theme related as well. So switching to the default "Twenty Eleven" and then testing again would help eliminate if that is the cause or not.

If you could try these out and let us know how your get on, we can then assist further. :slight_smile:

• ericahm
    • Flash Drive

ok thanks. I am using the latest version of wp. I haven't installed any new plugins between the time the comments were working and the time they stopped working.

On your test site, does the link to reply to comments work? That has never worked on my site. Can you troubleshoot that for me while I try your other suggestions? Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Yeah the reply works for me also.

Quite often 404 errors are permalink issues, so that is something else you could take a look at.

Try saving your permalink structure again and see how that goes. If that doesn't help then try using use the default Permalink structure.

Admin --> Settings --> Permalinks.

Let me know how you get on.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

No worries. Keep us up to date on how you get on.

Do you have a demo install? I tend to have demo installs for testing themes, plugins, upgrades and issues such as the one you are having.

I mention that as it might be the best way for you to trouble shoot in a non-live environment and then just move your changes over when ready.

Anyway, let us know. :slight_smile:

• ericahm
    • Flash Drive

I do have test sites, but I don't know how to move stuff over when it's complete. Can you send me a link to a good tutorial? Or if it's easy, maybe just tell me here? That sounds much better than rebuilding my live site. Thanks!

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Without knowing what changes the theme makes it really would be hard to give a precise walkthrough.

It really depends on what it is your doing. If its just theme files, then it is only a case of moving those files over to the live install.

If its DB related content, its a little more tricky with different approaches. You could backup the live content, insert into your test install, but then you would need to pay attention to the file paths and such logged in the DB (for testing that may not be so important). Then when complete just import it back in. But note that importing back in could overwrite any changes you made on the live site in the mean time, so you would need to ensure the data remains constant.

At least running a test on a demo site, gives you a good idea of what needs changing so you get a little practice making you quicker on the live site.

If you know which tables the theme or any given plugin affects, then you could target just those specific tables and columns for import.

To quote form another post I made some time ago:

Have you taken a look at: Bash script to mirror WordPress MU installation into a sandbox

http://pp19dd.com/2011/01/bash-script-to-mirror-wordpress-mu-installation-into-a-sandbox/

Not for the faint hearted, backups galore perhaps needed. As the author Warns!:

WARNING: read over this script before you run. Seriously. Did you notice there are rm -rf statements in it?

It could be done on one server, I'd probably get a separate domain going though under another cPanel account or equivalent (I personally like to keep things separate, helps me to organise my mind and actions betters).

This was from the following thread:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/cloneduplicate-wpmu-site-on-same-server#post-84242

I hope some of this is of some help. I'm sure different people have different approaches and methods.

• ericahm
    • Flash Drive

Wow! I really appreciate your research, and now that I see the Headway link, I'm embarrassed because I could have found that if I weren't so frustrated. You have been above and beyond helpful. Once I get everything squared away, I'll let you know how the plugin is faring on the new install. Thanks again!
    Erica

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey Erica.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm pleased I could help :slight_smile:

I look forward to hearing back on your progress. As the issue isn't strictly related to a WPMU Dev I'll mark the thread as resolved for now, however if you have any further issues or need more help then please feel free to either re-open the thread or create a new one. :slight_smile:

Take care

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.