Comments Plus not working properly - three issues

Got a couple of problems with the Comments Plus plugin. Running WPMU with BuddyPress on site 2, but with other sites on their own domains (domain mapping). So I understand this restricts me to running CP on the main site. I've left it set so it shouldn't show on subsites, but at the moment it's showing up on all sites?

Next problem is that when I try signing on using Twitter, Twitter's popup window says that the oauth token is missing (and indeed it is missing from the url displayed).

So I tried submitting a comment using Facebook, then Google. They both show up fine in the dashboard under moderation, but back on the post, the Facebook one shows up as being posted by Anonymous and with no visible text. The Google one is ok.

Techtomic

So I tried submitting a comment using Facebook, then Google. They both show up fine in the dashboard under moderation, but back on the post, the Facebook one shows up as being posted by Anonymous and with no visible text. The Google one is ok.

Sorry ignore this last point, I found that someone else had posted the Anonymous post, and the Facebook one did show up afterwards.

So I'm just a bit lost with the Twitter set up, and with restricting the plugin to a particular site.

aecnu

Greetings xootom,

Thank you for the additional clarification and indeed it is not compatible with Buddy Press - great catch on your part in your last post.

It is in your best interest to remove this plugin from your installation because it may cause other anomalies - other then not just working itself.

Sorry to see due to Buddy Press being present that it is not going to work for us in that particular installation.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member and have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Techtomic

Hi Joe,

I see what you mean, so if it's not in the compatible list, it's actually incompatible - makes sense. Would be nice if I could filter the wpmudev plugins by compatibility.

I've just had a look through at some other plugins I've got, and some others are also incompatible with BuddyPress, including WHMCS MU Provisioning and Status, which both looked good to me.

I'm now thinking (sorry if I'm going off-topic) would it actually be better to drop BuddyPress and use all the wpmudev plugins to do similar things such as Avatars and Friends?

If I went this route what would the difference be... I know users themselves and single sign on would work across the network, but would friends only be friends within a subsite? Would private messages only work in a subsite... and profiles?

I probably need to experiment with this but before I take drastic actions it'd be great to hear about the pros and cons

aecnu

Greetings xootom,

Thank you for the additional feed back and questions.

Would be nice if I could filter the wpmudev plugins by compatibility.

Indeed that is a cool idea - I will pass it upstream

I'm now thinking (sorry if I'm going off-topic) would it actually be better to drop BuddyPress and use all the wpmudev plugins to do similar things such as Avatars and Friends?

Now this is a really good question and it was also what I think was behind the developer team thinking, when they chose those particular items to add/develop to MultiSites.

it'd be great to hear about the pros and cons

To be honest as always, I am not familiar enough with the interactions of Buddy Press and what it actually does - sorry that I was never a fan of theirs.

but would friends only be friends within a subsite?

I think not because it is a network activation plugin - which to note it does not offer site by site activation making me think it will be indeed network wide.

Would private messages only work in a subsite... and profiles?

This I admit that I do no know and would need to be tested out.

The one item that you did miss in the plugin lineup and thinking about replacing Buddy Press I noticed is the Communities plugin, which you may want to consider as well.

Cheers, Joe

Techtomic

Hi Joe,

I think the main problem I have with some of the wpmudev plugins especially Messages and Communities is that they're only available in the dashboard. So if the subsites are little communities of users, they would be posting blogs and forums on the front end, but then would have to go all technical and get into the 'admin site' to be able to send messages and friend requests etc.

Doesn't seem like a realistic situation for communities using a subsite, maybe it works ok for edublogs where it appears that everyone has their own individual blog (this kind of replaces having extended profiles in BuddyPress I guess?) if I understand correctly?

Cheers, Tom.

aecnu

Greetings Tom,

Thank you for the additional input.

Doesn't seem like a realistic situation for communities using a subsite, maybe it works ok for edublogs where it appears that everyone has their own individual blog (this kind of replaces having extended profiles in BuddyPress I guess?) if I understand correctly?

I am not sure I am understanding you completely since EDU Blogs does in fact use sub sites and they are the end users individual blog as well. They even use Pro Sites. So here I do not follow your train of thought at all.

Regarding Buddy Press - it is not a true MultiSite application - or at least not yet so indeed sub blogs would create an issue with extended profiles of Buddy Press.

I think the main problem I have with some of the wpmudev plugins especially Messages and Communities is that they're only available in the dashboard. So if the subsites are little communities of users, they would be posting blogs and forums on the front end, but then would have to go all technical and get into the 'admin site' to be able to send messages and friend requests etc.

This is not thinking out of the box - with plugins like Easy Blogging plugin or Admin Menu plugin and/or the ability to modify the toolbar - there is no excuse for end users to have trouble navigating any item if the admin has made the applicable changes therein.

Have a GREAT week!

Cheers, Joe

Techtomic

Hi Joe,

What I was getting at is that with Edublogs, everyone has their own blog and is the admin of their own blog, so they are naturally familiar with the admin interface and are happy to switch between the front-end and back-end concepts. What I meant was that instead of needing extended profiles like on a BuddyPress site, they have their own blog to publish details all about themselves. Kind of an ultra powerful personal space.

But what I'm looking at isn't for all end users to have their own blog, it wouldn't be scalable enough if there were hundreds of users just wanting to interact with say a forum on their sports club's website.

So where they just browse their running club forum website, login and post the odd message on the website, I think it'd be a bit jarring for them to switch to a different interface to be able to accept a friend request or even access the forum at all (like Communities).

I get your point that Easy Blogging can make the admin system simple, though I'm not sure it'd be possible at all to make it all integrated with the front-end into a single consistent, responsive, mobile-first type experience.

Cheers, Tom.

aecnu

Greetings Tom,

Thank you for the additional input and in this case the only way to know for sure is to try to make it happen applying what we do know to see how it pans out and addressing individual items/issues as they present themselves.

Of course with the addition of Buddy Press that complicates things immensely considering they sometimes it seems they take forever to patch bugs.

For example look how long it took them between version 1.5.4 to version 1.6 to release a bug fix for their own confessed "hundreds of bugs"

Reference: http://codex.buddypress.org/developer/releases/version-1-6/

In any event I wish you happy developing and as much smooth sailing as possible.

Cheers, Joe