Comments Plus still loads FB JS even when Its told not to.

Hi All,

Well title says it all really.

I recently discovered that my pages are loading two lots of FB JS, the result breaks the design in certain pages using Social Ads. Anyway the two plugins that load the JS are Comments Plus and Ultimate FB.

Now Ive told Comments Plus not to load the JS via the check box yet it still is….there is no option to do this with Ultimate Facebook.

So I guess the questions are:

1. Why is Comments Plus still loading the FB JS even when I tell it not to?

2. Why doesnt Ultimate FB have a similar option not to install FB JS?

Cheers

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ThePath,

Thank you for these great questions and bringing these significant issues to our attention.

1. Why is Comments Plus still loading the FB JS even when I tell it not to?

2. Why doesnt Ultimate FB have a similar option not to install FB JS?

I personally do not have an answer for either of these questions and I thought that number 1 was fixed sometime ago.

Perhaps our lead developer of both these products can indeed answer this question whom I will see if I can get here with his invaluable insight and advice.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Thanks Joe,

Just before anyone asks I have it on latest WP Multisite and BP and have latest version of plugin v1.4.2

If number 1 has been fixed ages ago I wonder why its happening. Could something have gone wrong during upgrade….Im never 100% trusting of automatic upgardes.

Thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings ThePath,

Thank you for the additional information, it is greatly appreciated.

I totally agree about the updates and if something seems wrong I personally FTP in and match the file sizes with the uncompressed downloaded version.

I have not had too much trouble with updates though. However, I always FTP the original or first installation and my FTP client indicates if there is any problem.

Thanks again ThePath.

Cheers, Joe

• tfbc
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

This issue is likely due to the fact that you have more than 1 plugin installed that is using the FB JS, Ultimate Facebook, pay with a like, pay per view, comments plus, floating social all use the JS, each one should have the option to to disable if another JS is already being used.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings tfbc and ThePath,

Thank you for the additional input, it is greatly appreciated.

You are absolutely correct that there are a lot of them that are using JS and therefore a lot of possibilities and standard plugin troubleshooting could possibly reveal if in fact there is more then one plugin causing the conflict.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol – first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem – if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting. You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Unless this in fact cures the issue, this in no way discounts the notification to the lead developer requesting his advice to this issue.

Cheers, Joe

• ThePath
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi tfbc thanks for your input, but as I mention in my initial post there is too lots of FB JS loaded and I know its from those two plugins. Yes I use other plugins with FB but none of them load the JS. Its quite easy to find out which plugins are loading the FB JS as the app numbers are in the code. So no need to switch off all the plugins etc. I should have mentioned that Ive already switched off Ultimate FB (which has no “dont add FB JS” option) and hey presto only one instance of Fb.init

@joe Yeh its Ultimate FB and Comments Plus that are conflicting as they both load the JS, all others are fine. If I switch Ultimate FB off then all works well, hence my initial two questions.

Thanks for your input so far

• tfbc
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

i have the latest version of ultimate facebook installed and just looked through the different options and you are definitely correct, no option like comments + to turn off the JS. comments + and ultimate fb should be combined IMO make it the Ultimate Social Plugin

• Vladislav
    • Dead Eye Dev

Hi,

Is it possible that you have the “Alternative Facebook Initialization” Comments+ add-on activated? If so, deactivating the add-on will solve things for you. The add-on assumes you want scripts from Facebook included, but Ultimate Facebook already brings in everything Comments Plus needs, so there is no need for it – other then this, the two plugins should respect each other. By the way, if you’re using multiple plugins that work with Facebook, you’ll most likely want them configured to use the same application (app ID and app secret), otherwise you may run into a number of odd issues.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi!

Just checking in :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that because we haven’t heard back from you that you’ve got your issue worked out via live chat or email, or that we have reached the end of our convo here. If you are still having problems or need any other answers on this particular topic please feel free to come back to this thread at anytime. Just be sure to mark it Not Resolved so we don’t miss it!

This ticket is only being Resolved due to lack of activity. It is by no means an action to avoid, brush off or minimize your issue. We are ready and here if you want to re-open at any time and I apologize in advance for any lack of communication if this ticket is being closed in error.

Thanks for being part of the WPMU DEV Community!

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.