Communication when changing indefinite Subscription Plans

Hello,
I feel I've the Membership plugin set up and working exactly how I want it to be... well, almost.

I've got 2 subscription plans set up. 1. Pending & 2. Active.

When a user signs up to my site they go into the Pending plan which has no access to premium content until I approve their account by changing their plan to Active. The reason we have it set up this way is because this site and content is available for free to members of the association.

The problem I'm facing is that I need to be able to notify the user when their account is changed from Pending to Active. I've played with the Communication feature and it appears that this only emails the user when their subscription is about to expire or after it is paid.

I've tried both of these settings but haven't had a successful outcome with either. When I signed up a test account using "after a subscription is paid" and before I change the subscription of the user to Active I received an email saying my account is active.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a better way I can set it up?

Ideally, when a user signs up I've got the default email to them telling them that their account needs to be approved (which is working fine), then when I change their subscription manually to Active it needs to fire off another email telling them that it's now been approved and that they can access the premium content.

Really looking forward to your advice or any suggestions you have.

Many thanks,
Daniel.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Daniel,

I hope you are well today.

Don't worry you haven't done anything wrong. by default that is how the communication feature works,

I believe there are two ways you could achieve this, by setting up a ping in membership connected to your mailchimp account and getting that to send an email, which may be rather complicated to set up, or the more manual way of using something like e-newsletter.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/

This way you could set one up and just be a standard email saying your account is active etc and send it once you have changed the user status, this also gives you more control over the look of the email :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Benbodhi Mantra
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,

Was just searching for similar,
    does this mean that when we manually move someone to a new subscription, they will not get the welcome email "after user has paid" set for that subscription automatically?

It seems it doesn't send when manually moved.

Maybe a good feature for the future if this is the case, so even if someone is manually moved to a new subscription, they receive the emails as if they did just pay.

Cheers
    Ben

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Ben,

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

That's correct, if someone is manually moved they won't get the notification emails etc set up in the communications tab.

I'll move this to the features and feedback area to see if we can get this implemented into a future release :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Benbodhi Mantra
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks Jack,

I think it would be a great idea!
    I wouldn't usually come across it, but I am working on a site that needs manual approval and membership works great for this particular site.
    I just realised that the emails weren't sending today.

For a site like this, the communication settings are void unfortunately (without this feature).

I really hope it gets put in place.
    I may have a play around writing it in myself aswell.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.