Communities plugin install?

Last time I followed the install instructions for a plugin that said to use the /mu-plugins/ folder, I was told that is pretty much being depricated and to simply install as usual.

Before I go to the trouble to set this up, can you tell me if Communities still uses the "old way" -- as per the installation instructions -- or if I just upload it as usual in the plugins folder?

In either case, do the messaging, avatars, and communities plugin need network enabling? Also, I see both Avatars for Multisite and Avatars (BBPress) plugins. Which one do I need?

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

Last time I followed the install instructions for a plugin that said to use the /mu-plugins/ folder, I was told that is pretty much being depricated and to simply install as usual.

Before I go to the trouble to set this up, can you tell me if Communities still uses the "old way" -- as per the installation instructions -- or if I just upload it as usual in the plugins folder?

Communities can be run either way right now, it does work both ways, but the future is to be in the wp-content --> plugins folder.

In either case, do the messaging, avatars, and communities plugin need network enabling?

This is up to you, if not network enabled they would need to be activated on a site per site basis.

Also, I see both Avatars for MultiSite and Avatars (BBPress) plugins. Which one do I need?

Avatars for MultiSite if running MultiSite and Avatars (BBPress) if running Buddy Press

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers

Hey ProSapien.

To confirm I downloaded the plugin and installed it. It seems to work by installing it in the normal way. You still need to move the communities.php file though.

In either case, do the messaging, avatars, and communities plugin need network enabling? Also, I see both Avatars for Multisite and Avatars (BBPress) plugins. Which one do I need?

Network activating enables them on the sites to work with communities. Looking at the instructions they instruct network activating them.

And for avatars:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/avatars

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.